Brocade FC switches --port names

Hi guys. This is for CEE 2.1.0.
Check the capture please:

What’s that number between brackets?

Is there a way to make CMK show the name of each port? the alias?
The one you see when you execute “nsaliasshow” inside the switch.

Example: “[Server01]”

Thank you!!!

Hi,
have a look at the rule “Network interface and switch port discovery”. You can select index, alias or description as service name. And of course read this excellent blog article written by Alex Wilms:

Karl

Hey Karl. Yes, i actually read that, thanks.

The problem is another. It’s not showing the aliases.
I access the switches by ssh, and do a “nsaliasshow” and see all the aliases. There are specific names for each port. Not that strange number.

Is there something wrong with our Brocade switches?

Any hint?

Sorry, model is Connectrix DS6520B (Brocade), OS v8.2.2d4.

Thanks!

I’m not sure about FC ports, but have a look at the inventory of the device. In the interface table you will find the index/description/alias of each interface, so you can easily see what to expect from the interface check.

If the inventory list does not show the alias configured on the device, the interface check will/cannot show/use that alias either.

edit: the inventory dosen’t show the interface name but the index.

1 Like

Hi,

checkmk is using the portname and not the nsalias.
You have to set portnames manually with
portname x -n “Name”

Hi guys!!
So, like you already see, that’s the index. I need the alias.

That has no effect. Index is still there, either i select “alias” or “description”.
I need to see the FC port alias, not the index.

@thl-cmk, could you please tell me how to see that interface table, with all the possible columns?

@aeckstein, how, please?

Thank you for your time!!

Hi,
you have to setup the inventory rule: Setup > Do hardware/software inventory. After activating the changes you should get a new service called Check_MK HW/SW Inventory. In the the action menu of this service there should be an additional icon:

Karl

1 Like

@kdeutsch , right !! thanks!!

OK, confirmed.

No alias.

Any hint guys?

@gera83

have you tried setting the port name as @aeckstein suggested? If you do so reschedule the inventory check to see the results in the interface table.

I’m sorry. How? where?

Thanks!

@aeckstein sugestet to configure the port names on the brocade switch, as this is what CMK uses as alias.

portname xxxx -n “Name”

Why? is there any company in the planet that do that?
We never used hard zoning.

Alias. You use aliases. Always. They are related to the WWN. You can change the fibre, between ports, and it keeps running perfectly. Why would you set a name to a port? That’s not every useful.

Guys… there is no way to get the alias by default with Check_MK then?

No one advised you to use hard zoning and zoning is in no way related to the portname you set.

@aeckstein , exactly!!
“Zoning is not related to portname”. Never said better before.

The magic of Aliases, is that are “target wwn” related. You can change the fibre 20 times, 20 different ports. The zone still works, perfectly. No port bond. Never.

So, why would you set a name to a port?

just because you can change your physical ports with wwpn zoning as often as you want to in a fabric, doesn’t mean it’s reality in practice.
For documentation, troubleshooting, and stability reasons fabrics tend to be more static.
But this discussion is out of scope of checkmk monitoring.
It is the way it is, portnames are used for the service name and imho that is not a bad decision.

Ok, point taken.

Check this out:

As you know, portname is set by default to “portX” or “slotX portX”
Is not there :(. Is not on the discovery.

I’m sorry to keep on this, but i would like to know what to do.
I would love to see a name, a nice description. Not the index.

well, as the inventory shows, you can go and use the interface description as the item. looks much better than the index.

Yes, i know, i put it on my 4th message. Same capture.

So, i’ve checked a whole snmpbulkwalk.
This is for SAN admins.

I’ve found this, for port 85 for example:

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1073741909 = STRING: FC port 0/85
IF-MIB::ifName.1073741909 = STRING: FC port 0/85

So: ifDescr and ifName.

Can anyone confirm how to set both on switch side?
Is with “portname” ?

Thanks!!!

Did you find the information you were looking for in snmpbulkwalk?
If so, there may be an easy way to change the interface check.