Cached data parameter from Oracle Agent does not work on Oracle version 19

CMK version: 2.0.0p24 (CME)
OS version: CentOS 7

**Error message:
Hello,
We spotted probably a global problem. We have a big Oracle environment with 30 machines, which are grouped by functionality: production, archive, test and standby. Those oracles are working on 2 versions - Version 10.2.0.5.0, Version 19.0.0.0.0. Our DB Administrator warn us, that the agent is consuming an enormous % of activity on those DB’s.

All of our agents were working in state “Run synchronously” and we fought that might be a performance problem, because we saw the CheckMK Service was encountered high and lows to get those data.

We changed those parameters to “Run asynchronously and cached”, and we receive a lot of lowered values.
obraz

So, everything worked perfect for us, we were happy, that our CheckMK agent can perform the same operations with less impact on DB and connectivity was greatly improved.

And now, fun begins. On machines with oracle version 10 everything was working great. On oracle 19 we encountered problem called “Login to database failed”. All of the services were stale. We had to reinstall agent with options “Run synchronously” to have a working monitoring again. It wasn’t a network problem or with DB, because in this state DB was for about 27 hours.
obraz

When we performed telnet to tcp agent port on version 10 and 19 to ensure output, we were just informed that everything passed, but no information in return. Credentials of DB user wasn’t changed, and user was created with commands from user guide.

For now, we have two configurations, with cached for version 10 and without cached for version 19.
I’ve tried to search documentation about restrictions to working with those parameters but nothing had catch my eye.

Conclusion, cache data doesn’t work on oracle version 19, but synchronously do. Configuration files were the same. Only changing one option caused this.

If I will have to do some debugging, I need to gather all of the information to prepare and share with DB admin and make a service window. If I missed some critical information about configuration, please tell me, but our oracle environment is working for about a year with that setup.

Does anyone encounter similar problem? I’ve searched forum, but in my configuration both ways are working, but not on the same oracle version.

Thanks, Blazej S.

Output of “cmk --debug -vvn hostname”: For now im unable to gave this, because i need to make a service window to uninstal existing agent

Hi @blazej.s,

it’s not a good idea to run all checks asynchronously. Please search the forum for oracle and my name i already wrote a lot of posts about synchronous and asynchronous sections related to oracle and also which of the queries are heavy on load.

For your 19.0 machines, there is an oracle bug around which cause an PGA shortage and limit exceeding which should be fixed in patch 17 (information from oracle). I can tell it’s not yet fixed in 19.16, just validated a view minutes ago.

EDIT:
Our configuration of sections on all systems. Large RAC with several instances, production RAC with heavy load databases as well as small all in one systems virtualized.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.