Can't get proxmox guest connected

Running Checkmk 2.1 host in a Debian 11 LXC container.
I installed the guest agent on the Proxmox 7.3.6 host as per as per:

I have done all steps and checked multiple times.

Server: 192.168.1.1
Checkmk container: 192.168.1.60

I am getting these messages.

[agent] Success, [special_proxmox_ve] Agent exited with code 1: Caught unhandled ConnectionError(HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘server’, port=8006): Max retries exceeded with url: /api2/json/access/ticket (Caused by NewConnectionError(‘<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7ff986eb6a90>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known’))) in /omd/sites/monitoring/lib/python3/cmk/special_agents/utils/agent_common.py:135CRIT , execution time 8.3 sec

I can monitor the hosty fine.

But I can’t seem to get a connection to proxmox.
In the guide shows a password for user checkmk@pve where is this password is it the user password or a api token etc?
nothing is mentioned about it in the ‘PVE Configuration’ section.

You need to create the checkmk@pve user in your Proxmox datacenter:

Then you can use it for CheckMK to connect.

Already done that as I followed the guide as mentioned.
I even just double checked the password in both proxmox and checkmk which you can see I checked that in checkmk 30.4 seconds before the screenshot was taken.

You can also see hdd warnings from hdd mounts which is the proxmox guest agent on the server working but the vm connection to proxmox isn’t

Maybe you need to publish Port 8006 to the docker Container?
8006:8006

I don’t use docker as its proxmox and LXC containers.
I also don’t have any proxmox firewalling blocking ports as you can see the bottom last ‘Crit’ its turned off.
I will check 8006 in the container and see what I get.

1 Like

In my phone right now so hard to see everything :wink:

In that case, from your CheckMK server, can you telnet to your Proxmox server on port 8006? (Or nc, depending on your OS). Should give something like this:

nc -v 192.168.1.1 8006
Connection to 192.168.1.1 8006 port [tcp/*] succeeded!

I got this.
Says open.
10000 is webmin and that detects fine.

root@checkmk:~# nc -zv 192.168.1.1 10000
192.168.1.1: inverse host lookup failed: Unknown host
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.1.1] 10000 (webmin) open
root@checkmk:~# nc -v 192.168.1.1 8006
192.168.1.1: inverse host lookup failed: Unknown host
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.1.1] 8006 (?) open

I guess “Open” is good?

Looking a bit in more detail to your error message, I see:
failed to establish a new connection: [errno -2]

Typically that means that your CheckMK server can’t find the host it’s looking for. Your Proxmox server in this case. Usually this is caused by incorrect DNS. Can you resolve the hostname of your Proxmox server from the CheckMK server? If not, it may be worth a shot to add it to the hosts file of the CheckMK server.

Open was good.

Adding proxmox to the Hosts seems to have worked.
I had SSL validation off this whole time as its self signed, so just referencing if anyone comes across this thread having the same issue.

[agent] Success, [special_proxmox_ve] Success, execution time 7.2 sec

I’ll have to figure out how to monitor proxmox stuff from checkmk a completely different thing.

Well, glad you got it working in the end.

For monitoring the Proxmox stuff you should do a discovery on the hosts. That should be about it. And since you followed the manual I assume you also followed the " 3 rules to rule them all".

And that you’ve created the cluster and cluster rules. That should be all that there’s to it.

I’ll need to read the three rule.

Only messages I get from proxmox now are.
Which I’ll need top sort out.

2 unmonitored services (proxmox_ve_node_info:1, proxmox_ve_mem_usage:1)WARN, no vanished services found, no new host labels

Total: 142, Disabled: 6, Failed: 1, 1 static service failed (pve-container@250)CRIT

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.