Check communication failed checkmk - proxmox

latest:
docker latest:

checkmk agent failed communication:

Output of “cmk --debug -vvn hostname”: (If it is a problem with checks or plugins)

Good morning everyone.

This query is for you to help me, install checkmk under docker, but at the moment, but I install the checkmk agent on another promox server to monitor it but it does not recognize the agent, it already has the user for the special agent, it communicates but still without recognize it and identify services.

In proxmox I already opened ports 6556.

When testing the connection I get the following message.

Communication failed: timed outAgent exited with code 1: Caught unhandled ConnectionError(HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘xxxx’, port=8006): Max retries exceeded with url: /api2/json/access/ticket (Caused by NewConnectionError(‘<urllib3. connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7f9fdd1d8970>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known’))) in /omd/sites/cmk/lib/python3/cmk/special_agents/utils/agent_common.py :135

message dashboard proxmox

[agent] Communication failed: timed outCRIT , [special_proxmox_ve] Agent exited with code 1: Caught unhandled ConnectionError(HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘xxxx’, port=8006): Max retries exceeded with url: /api2/json/access/ticket (Caused by NewConnectionError(‘<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7f4947cc6970>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known’))) in /omd/sites/cmk/lib/python3/cmk/special_agents/utils/agent_common.py:135CRIT , execution time 5.4 sec

Why is there no communication with the agent?

I also disabled the fw to see if that was the problem, but it persists.

The error message only says that CMK cannot reach the port of the Proxmox API/HTTPS management.
I don’t see that it gives a error message about the normal agent.
Can you please show how the host is configured inside CMK?

Sure.

Property host.
Hostname: xxxxxx
Ipv4 address: ip public
checkmk agent/ Api Integrations: configurade api integration and checkmk agent

Proxmox VE Rule.
Description: Proxmox VE
Username: xxxxx@pve
Password: explicit
Explcit host: xxx

My server proxmox follow the guide from checkmk, where create the user, policy, open port 6556, special agent.

in the host run the register checkmk agent.

cmk-agent-ctl register -H ovhxxx -s publicIP:8194 -i cmk -U automation

Register ok.

No more.

Thx help.

You need to look for the output of “cmk -D hostname”

It should look like this for your Proxmox host.

hostname
Addresses:              192.168.0.1
Tags:                   [address_family:ip-v4-only], [agent:all-agents], [checkmk-agent:checkmk-agent], ..some more tags
Labels:                 [cmk/os_family:linux], [cmk/site:home], [hardware_device:yes], [wichtig:true]
Host groups:            some hostgroups
Contact groups:         some contact groups
Agent mode:             Normal Checkmk agent, all configured special agents
Type of agent:
  TCP: 192.168.0.1:6556
  Program: /omd/sites/<sitename>/share/check_mk/agents/special/agent_proxmox_ve .. options
  Process piggyback data from /omd/site/<sitename>/...

Sorry, where execute the command cmk -D, run the command in the server and host.

Result:
root@b89a53889908:/#cmk -D hostname
bash: cmk: command not found

Im begginer in checkmk, thx for the help.

The command cmk-agent-ctl these functional.

On the checkmk server, but as site user, not as root.

More info in the docs:

Hi, thx very much for the manual.

The solution from command cmk no found: su cmk. xd

The result.

hostname
Addresses: 0.0.0.0
Tags: [address_family:ip-v4-only], [agent:cmk-agent], [criticality:prod], [networking:lan], [piggyback:auto-piggyback], [site:cmk], [snmp_ds:no-snmp]
Labels: [cmk/site:cmk]
Host groups: check_mk
Contact groups: check-mk-notify
Agent mode: No agent
Type of agent:
Process piggyback data from /omd/sites/cmk/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/hostname
PING only
Services:
checktype item params description groups

result hostname docker.

b89a53889908
Addresses: 172.17.0.3
Tags: [address_family:ip-v4-only], [agent:cmk-agent], [criticality:prod], [networking:lan], [piggyback:auto-piggyback], [site:cmk], [snmp_ds:no-snmp]
Type of agent:
Process piggyback data from /omd/sites/cmk/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/b89a53889908
PING only
Services:

“hostname” is only a placeholder for the real name of your Proxmox host.
You need to write it exactly as it is created inside CMK.

Hi.

These.

b89a53889908
Addresses: 172.17.0.3
Type of agent:
Process piggyback data from /omd/sites/cmk/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/b89a53889908
PING only
Services:

the cmk these deploy in docker.

OMD[cmk]:~$ hostname
b89a53889908

In your first post you said you want to monitor a Proxmox host with agent and special agent.
The shown output in the last post shows an docker container.
I cannot follow what exactly you want to do.

Hi Andreas, reinstall checkmk. but persist the problem.

Install checkmk on site, nothing docker.

output site

Addresses: ip public
Tags: [address_family:ip-v4-only], [agent:cmk-agent], [criticality:prod], [networking:lan], [piggyback:auto-piggyback], [site:metamonitorb], [snmp_ds:no-snmp]
Labels: [cmk/site:metamonitorb]
Type of agent:
Process piggyback data from /omd/sites/metamonitorb/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/metamonitorb
PING only
Services:

persist the problem :frowning:

configured tls, dns, nothing :frowning:

In the checkmk server have install the agent?.

In my host run cmk-agent-ctl pull

output
ERROR [cmk_agent_ctl] Failed to listen on TCP socket for incoming pull connections.

Error with IPV6:
Address in use (os error 98)

Error with IPV4:
Address in use (os error 98)

I think it will be because I want to monitor servers that are in other countries, that’s why it won’t let me, is there a way to establish that from my checkmk server it communicates through ssh with the agent of the other server that I want to monitor?

All outputs shown make no sense.
Please show the command you use to get the output.

I will try again from the start.
In your first post you want to monitor a Proxmox host with agent and special agent together.
Yes or No?

If yes please do a “cmk -D name_of_the_proxmox_host” on the command line and please show the command and output (user, password and so on can be removed).

Yes, you can use ssh to connect to some host and run the agent there. You should be able to find some discussion on that topic here in the forum. Surprise, there’s even a chapter in the official documentation for exactly that feature (section “6. Encrypted: Use of an SSH tunnel”):

Thx, the solution: for ssh.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.