[Check_mk (english)] Azure checks - missing agent sections

Hi,

we are monitoring Azure cloud services with check_mk 1.6.0p5. It's running good, the AzureService host
is configured to store data / map data to resource group hosts.

I've configured them all, it's working fine, but from time to time, I'm getting a warning for
different resource groups:

Successfully processed from source AzureService, Missing agent sections: azure_virtualmachines

The sections are not only azure_virtualmachines - they differ from time to time.

After a few minutes the message went away and all is "OK" again. The API-read limit is
not reached (10k left...).

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Regards
Guenther

Hi Guenther,

I have the same problem on one of my bigger Azure sites. The reason is that the output from the agent is empty for some sections and this leads to the message you saw. Why this is empty, I don’t know. The check by itself is not able to handle empty output. The best way world be that the check ignores empty data and the check goes stale if no data is received after some minutes.

But this needs some adjustment in the check. I have no time to make a bigger test with this setup until now.

Best regards

Andreas

···

guenther.rasch@gmx.at schrieb am Do., 14. Nov. 2019, 07:39:

Hi,

we are monitoring Azure cloud services with check_mk 1.6.0p5. It’s running good, the AzureService host

I’ve configured them all, it’s working fine, but from time to time, I’m getting a warning for

Successfully processed from source AzureService, Missing agent sections: azure_virtualmachines

The sections are not only azure_virtualmachines - they differ from time to time.

After a few minutes the message went away and all is “OK” again. The API-read limit is

not reached (10k left…).

Any ideas what’s going wrong?

Regards

Guenther

checkmk-en mailing list

checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de

Manage your subscription or unsubscribe

https://lists.mathias-kettner.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/checkmk-en

Hi Guenther,

The warnings are indeed unrelated, they are caused by missing metrics (I observed a missing Peer-to-Site connection count before I connected the first client. Don't ask me why it's not zero in that case.).

In regards to the "missing agent sections": In fact it's "missing resources" (but that's a technical detail, of course). Im not sure why this happens, but I am looking into it. I suspect the Azure API sometimes just does not report all of your resources.

The least thing we should do is to make the service go stale it that case, but I would prefer to figure out what is actually going on...

Regards,
Moritz

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

···

Von: "guenther rasch" <guenther.rasch@gmx.at>
An: "Moritz Kiemer" <moritz.kiemer@tribe29.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. November 2019 11:05:06
Betreff: Aw: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Azure checks - missing agent sections

Hi Moritz,

thx! No - debug output doesn't help because some minutes after the unknown state
the debug output looks fine, the only thing I can see is quite after the Agentinfo
WARNING: not found: storage_percent (average)
WARNING: not found: storage_percent (average)
WARNING: no timeseries found for metric u'P2SConnectionCount'
WARNING: no timeseries found for metric u'P2SConnectionCount'

(but not related to a resource group). I guess the plugin tries to get these
values from the Agent directly (not related to a RSG)

Regards
Guenther

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. November 2019 um 09:00 Uhr
Von: "Moritz Kiemer" <moritz.kiemer@tribe29.com>
An: "guenther rasch" <guenther.rasch@gmx.at>
Betreff: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Azure checks - missing agent sections
Hi Guenther,

From the output of the "cmk -D <HOST>" command (replace your host name) you can see the actual commandline call for the agent_azure (around line 9 of the output, I think). Try adding the options "--debug" (to have exceptions raised) and "--sequential" (to turn off multi threading), and see if the output is helpful.

Regards,
Moritz

Von: "guenther rasch" <guenther.rasch@gmx.at>
An: "checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de" <checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. November 2019 07:38:58
Betreff: [Check_mk (english)] Azure checks - missing agent sections

Hi,

we are monitoring Azure cloud services with check_mk 1.6.0p5. It's running good, the AzureService host

I've configured them all, it's working fine, but from time to time, I'm getting a warning for

After a few minutes the message went away and all is "OK" again. The API-read limit is
not reached (10k left...).

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Regards
Guenther
https://lists.mathias-kettner.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/checkmk-en
--
Moritz Kiemer

Join us at the Checkmk Conference #6 from April 27th-29th, 2020.

tribe29 — the checkmk company
moritz.kiemer@tribe29.com | Phone: +49 89 9982 097 00
--
Moritz Kiemer

Join us at the Checkmk Conference #6 from April 27th-29th, 2020.

tribe29 — the checkmk company
moritz.kiemer@tribe29.com | Phone: +49 89 9982 097 00