[Check_mk (english)] HP ILO Monitoring

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well.

I’m just wondering what the current best way of monitoring HP ILO3/4 is?

It can send SNMP alerts but from what I can see it’s not walkable which is a shame.

I am wondering whether accessing it from within the OS is the best option or whether writing something that will talk to it over the ssh console makes the most sense.

What’s everyone else doing these days? I’m looking to target things like unplugged PSUs, failed disks etc.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Kim

Hi Kim,

we are currently using ipmi to monitor ilo. We use a custom version of

http://git.mathias-kettner.de/git/?p=check_mk.git;a=blob;f=doc/treasures/agent_ipmi;h=1ee2e5e36a516e4991cbb579520a824ed34a0ee1;hb=HEAD
and an extra ilo host.

Jonathan

···

Von: checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de [mailto:checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de]
Im Auftrag von Kim Mount
Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. Februar 2015 09:42
An: checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Betreff: [Check_mk (english)] HP ILO Monitoring

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well.

It can send SNMP alerts but from what I can see it’s not walkable which is a shame.

I am wondering whether accessing it from within the OS is the best option or whether writing something that will talk to it over the ssh console makes the most sense.

What’s everyone else doing these days? I’m looking to target things like unplugged PSUs, failed disks etc.

Kim

Hi Kim,

http://git.mathias-kettner.de/git/?p=check_mk.git;a=blob;f=doc/treasures/agent_ipmi;h=1ee2e5e36a516e4991cbb579520a824ed34a0ee1;hb=HEAD
and an extra ilo host.

Jonathan

hi Jonathan,

could you share your wato config for this and where you store the script locally also?

br,

Rune

···

From: checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de on behalf of Vogt, Jonathan j.vogt@neue-pressegesellschaft.de
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:28 AM
To: Kim Mount
Cc: checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] HP ILO Monitoring

Hi Kim,

and an extra ilo host.

Jonathan

Von: checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de [mailto:checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de]
Im Auftrag von Kim Mount

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well.

Kim

By default, the iLO's SNMP is set to passthrough, which requires you to run HP's SNMP agents on the host to collect data. You won't get any data via SNMP on iLO unless they are running.

However, a new feature in iLO 4 is agentless management. This means iLO can pull data from the sensors, hp raid arrays, etc directly, and you can poll iLO via SNMP without involving the OS at all. You'll have to disable passthrough and enable agentless management via the web interface or hponcfg. For the latter, I believe this will do the job:

<RIBCL VERSION="2.1">
   <LOGIN USER_LOGIN="Administrator" PASSWORD="password">
     <RIB_INFO mode="write"><MOD_SNMP_IM_SETTINGS>
       <SNMP_ADDRESS_1 VALUE=""/>
       <SNMP_ADDRESS_1_ROCOMMUNITY VALUE="public"/>
       <SNMP_PASSTHROUGH_STATUS VALUE="N"/>
       <AGENTLESS_MANAGEMENT_ENABLE VALUE="Y"/>
     </MOD_SNMP_IM_SETTINGS></RIB_INFO>
   </RIB_INFO>
</LOGIN>
</RIBCL>

Unfortunately, this only works on iLO 4, so you'll still have to run HP's SNMP agents on your ilO 3 hosts if you want to collect host data via iLO.

···

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Kim Mount wrote:

I'm just wondering what the current best way of monitoring HP ILO3/4 is?

It can send SNMP alerts but from what I can see it's not walkable which is a
shame.

Hey Sketch,

This sounds fantastic.

Many thanks for this!

Kim

···

To: “Kim Mount” kim.mount@cutterproject.co.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 24 February, 2015 1:28:05 PM

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Kim Mount wrote:

It can send SNMP alerts but from what I can see it’s not walkable which is a
shame.

By default, the iLO’s SNMP is set to passthrough, which requires you to
run HP’s SNMP agents on the host to collect data. You won’t get any data
via SNMP on iLO unless they are running.

However, a new feature in iLO 4 is agentless management. This means iLO
can pull data from the sensors, hp raid arrays, etc directly, and you can
poll iLO via SNMP without involving the OS at all. You’ll have to disable
passthrough and enable agentless management via the web interface or
hponcfg. For the latter, I believe this will do the job:

Unfortunately, this only works on iLO 4, so you’ll still have to run
HP’s SNMP agents on your ilO 3 hosts if you want to collect host data via
iLO.

Hi Rune,

I went with /usr/local/bin/check_ipmi_wrapper for historic reasons. $OMD_ROOT/local/bin/ would work as well I guess.

I created a new Agent Type, and a rule under Datasource Programs -> Individual program call instead of agent access. I have a Rule for IPMI 1.x
and one for IPMI 2.0. For 2.0 the command is:

/usr/local/bin/check_ipmi_wrapper user password --driver-type=LAN_2_0

I’ve modified the script to take a 4th parameter. Depending on your version of ipmi-sensors you might have to omit --ignore-not-available-sensors
–legacy-output in the original scripts. I’ve you don’t get any output in cmk, try running ipmi-sensors directly and see what you get.

Jonathan

···

Von: Rune Tipsmark [mailto:rt@steait.net]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. Februar 2015 13:11
An: Vogt, Jonathan; Kim Mount
Betreff: RE: HP ILO Monitoring

hi Jonathan,

could you share your wato config for this and where you store the script locally also?

br,

Rune

checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de
<checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de >
on behalf of Vogt, Jonathan j.vogt@neue-pressegesellschaft.de
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:28 AM
To: Kim Mount

Hi Kim,

and an extra ilo host.

Jonathan

Von:
checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de [mailto:checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de]
Im Auftrag von Kim Mount

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well.

Kim

If you have the various HP Insight agents installed, this information should be reported via the SNMP agent on the host.

What OS?

For linux, have a look here:
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Monitoring+HP+ProLiant+Hardware

I haven’t done the array part yet to be honest. It looks like it’ll need a separate check. However, just installing hp-health and hp-snmp-agents, gets me temperature, cpu, memory, fan, raid controller, and physical disk monitoring via SNMP.

For Windows, you just need to run through the installer on the HP Support Pack (or whatever they’re calling it these days).

Thank you,

Lance

Please consider the environment before printing

···

From: checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de on behalf of Kim Mount kim.mount@cutterproject.co.uk
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 3:42 AM
To: checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: [Check_mk (english)] HP ILO Monitoring

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well.

Kim

Hi Lance,

Thanks for this, I’ll have a look into it too.

Predominantly Windows/Linux/Solaris so should be straight forward with the agents.

Thanks,

Kim

···

To: “Kim Mount” kim.mount@cutterproject.co.uk, checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Sent: Tuesday, 24 February, 2015 3:08:52 PM
Subject: RE: HP ILO Monitoring

If you have the various HP Insight agents installed, this information should be reported via the SNMP agent on the host.

What OS?

For linux, have a look here:
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Monitoring+HP+ProLiant+Hardware

I haven’t done the array part yet to be honest. It looks like it’ll need a separate check. However, just installing hp-health and hp-snmp-agents, gets me temperature, cpu, memory, fan, raid controller, and physical disk monitoring via SNMP.

For Windows, you just need to run through the installer on the HP Support Pack (or whatever they’re calling it these days).

Thank you,

Lance