[Check_mk (english)] Linux Asynchronous Execution of Local Check returning UNKOWN

Howdy (CheckMK Raw 1.6.0p6),

I have a plugin installed locally on a system to perform a periodic Internet speed test (https://github.com/jas31085/CheckMK-plugin/blob/master/speedtest)

With the script (speedtest) copied to the local host under /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins it works find and provides the graphing data I’m looking for. However, the problem is that the script takes about a minute to run and it sends /
receives about 80MB of data. With that in mind, I’d like it to only execute hourly.

According to the docs, " Asynchronous Execution" is what I need.

In the same way as with MRPE plug-ins can process asynchronously. This is very useful if the plug-ins have a very long runtime, and the acquired status data in any case does not need to be refreshed every minute.

An asynchronous execution is not configured with a file. Instead, create a subdirectory in plugins whose name is a numeric: representing a count of seconds. Plug-ins in this directory will not only be executed
asynchronously, at the same time with the second count a minimum waiting time is also specified before the plug-in can be run again. If the agent is again called before the specified time has elapsed, it will use cached data from the last run of the plug-in.
In this way an interval longer than the typical one minute can in effect be configured for the plug-in.

root@linuxhost# cd /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins

root@linuxhost# mkdir 3600

root@linuxhost# mv speedtest 3600

After moving the script into the cached seconds directory, CheckMK reports the service as UNKNOWN:

SPEEDTEST UNKN - Item not found in agent output’

Hi Mike,

I tested your script inside one of my test hosts and it was working fine.

Copy speedtest script to /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins/3600 and waited 3-4 minutes.

Then the check was correctly visible inside checkmk.

Can you have a look at your folder /var/lib/check_mk_agent/cache/. There should be a file with a name like ‘plugins_3600\speedtest.sh.cache’.

Inside this file is the output of your script.

Best regards

Andreas

···

Am Mi., 27. Nov. 2019 um 20:01 Uhr schrieb Hanby, Mike mhanby@uab.edu:

I have a plugin installed locally on a system to perform a periodic Internet speed test (https://github.com/jas31085/CheckMK-plugin/blob/master/speedtest)

With the script (speedtest) copied to the local host under /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins it works find and provides the graphing data I’m looking for. However, the problem is that the script takes about a minute to run and it sends /
receives about 80MB of data. With that in mind, I’d like it to only execute hourly.

In the same way as with MRPE plug-ins can process asynchronously. This is very useful if the plug-ins have a very long runtime, and the acquired status data in any case does not need to be refreshed every minute.

An asynchronous execution is not configured with a file. Instead, create a subdirectory in plugins whose name is a numeric: representing a count of seconds. Plug-ins in this directory will not only be executed
asynchronously, at the same time with the second count a minimum waiting time is also specified before the plug-in can be run again. If the agent is again called before the specified time has elapsed, it will use cached data from the last run of the plug-in.
In this way an interval longer than the typical one minute can in effect be configured for the plug-in.

After moving the script into the cached seconds directory, CheckMK reports the service as UNKNOWN:

SPEEDTEST UNKN - Item not found in agent output’

Mike Hanby

mhanby @ uab.edu

Systems Analyst III - Enterprise

IT Research Computing Services

The University of Alabama at Birmingham

checkmk-en mailing list

checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de

Manage your subscription or unsubscribe

https://lists.mathias-kettner.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/checkmk-en

Thanks Andreas,

I jumped the gun. I moved on to another task, came later and the cached async execution is working.

speedtest OK - ping 4.75310622473674 upload 88MiB download 22B

Thanks for the feedback,

Mike

···

Mike Hanby

mhanby @ uab.edu

Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 4:27 PM
To: “Hanby, Mike” mhanby@uab.edu
Cc:checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.decheckmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Linux Asynchronous Execution of Local Check returning UNKOWN

Hi Mike,

Copy speedtest script to /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins/3600 and waited 3-4 minutes.

Can you have a look at your folder /var/lib/check_mk_agent/cache/. There should be a file with a name like ‘plugins_3600\speedtest.sh.cache’.

Best regards

Andreas

With the script (speedtest) copied to the local host under /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins it works find and provides the graphing data I’m looking for. However, the problem is
that the script takes about a minute to run and it sends / receives about 80MB of data. With that in mind, I’d like it to only execute hourly.

An asynchronous execution is not configured with a file. Instead, create a subdirectory in plugins whose name is a numeric: representing a count of seconds. Plug-ins in this directory
will not only be executed asynchronously, at the same time with the second count a minimum waiting time is also specified before the plug-in can be run again. If the agent is again called before the specified time has elapsed, it will use cached data from
the last run of the plug-in. In this way an interval longer than the typical one minute can in effect be configured for the plug-in.

’ SPEEDTEST UNKN - Item not found in agent output’

Mike Hanby

mhanby @
uab.edu

checkmk-en mailing list

I made a slight modification to the ‘speedtest’ script in case anyone else runs across this. I didn’t want to run the ‘speedtest-cli’ Python script as root, so I modified it to run as a user named ‘cmkplugin’ (which has to be manually created
on the host). The user doesn’t need any special privileges.

If the script is run as a user other than root, it will continue to run as that user:

#! /bin/bash

if type speedtest-cli > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then

LOGFILE=“$(mktemp “/tmp/speedtest.XXXXXXXX”)”

if [ “$EUID” -ne 0 ]; then

speedtest-cli --csv > “$LOGFILE”

else

chown cmkplugin $LOGFILE

chmod 660 $LOGFILE

su - cmkplugin -c “/usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv > $LOGFILE”

fi

CSV=$(cat “$LOGFILE”)

IFS=, VALUES=($CSV)

PING=${VALUES[5]}

DOWNLOAD=${VALUES[6]}

UPLOAD=${VALUES[7]}

DOWNLOAD=“$(numfmt --to=iec-i --suffix=B <<< $DOWNLOAD)”

UPLOAD=“$(numfmt --to=iec-i --suffix=B <<< $UPLOAD)”

echo “<<>>”

echo "0 speedtest ping=$PING;;|upload=$UPLOAD;;|download=$DOWNLOAD;; ping $PING upload $UPLOAD download $DOWNLOAD "

fi

rm -rf “$LOGFILE”

The end result is a process tree like this:

root 26992 0.2 0.0 126192 3392 ? S 21:18 0:00 _ su - cmkplugin -c /usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv > /tmp/speedtest.9G4rSNjn

cmkplug+ 26995 0.0 0.0 115312 1704 ? Ss 21:18 0:00 _ -bash -c /usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv > /tmp/speedtest.9G4rSNjn

cmkplug+ 27020 28.9 1.3 1164100 222104 ? Sl 21:18 0:04 _ /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv

···

Mike Hanby

mhanby @ uab.edu

Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 8:51 PM
To: Andreas Döhler andreas.doehler@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Linux Asynchronous Execution of Local Check returning UNKOWN

Thanks Andreas,

I jumped the gun. I moved on to another task, came later and the cached async execution is working.

Thanks for the feedback,

Mike

Mike Hanby

mhanby @ uab.edu

Hi Mike,

Best regards

Andreas

With the script (speedtest) copied to the local host under /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins it works find and provides the graphing data I’m looking for. However, the problem is
that the script takes about a minute to run and it sends / receives about 80MB of data. With that in mind, I’d like it to only execute hourly.

An asynchronous execution is not configured with a file. Instead, create a subdirectory in plugins whose name is a numeric: representing a count of seconds. Plug-ins in this directory
will not only be executed asynchronously, at the same time with the second count a minimum waiting time is also specified before the plug-in can be run again. If the agent is again called before the specified time has elapsed, it will use cached data from
the last run of the plug-in. In this way an interval longer than the typical one minute can in effect be configured for the plug-in.

Mike Hanby

mhanby @
uab.edu

checkmk-en mailing list

Ok, change to the previous script. I changed to using the speedtest.net ‘speedtest’ command, as it completes quicker and they seem to be around for the long haul.

Additionally, I discovered that the original check script didn’t handle quoted commas in the CSV (ex: server name and location), for me all of my columns were off by one. Now data is accurate:

if type speedtest > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then

if [ ! -f “~/.config/ookla/speedtest-cli.json” ]; then

/usr/bin/speedtest --format=tsv --accept-license > /dev/null 2>&1

fi

/usr/bin/speedtest --format=tsv -a --progress=no > $LOGFILE

else

if [ ! -f “~cmkplugin/.config/ookla/speedtest-cli.json” ]; then

su - cmkplugin -c “/usr/bin/speedtest --format=tsv --accept-license” > /dev/null 2>&1

fi

chown cmkplugin $LOGFILE

chmod 664 $LOGFILE

#su - cmkplugin -c “/usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv --csv-delimiter ‘|’ > $LOGFILE”

su - cmkplugin -c “/usr/bin/speedtest --format=tsv --progress=no > $LOGFILE”

fi

TSV=$(cat “$LOGFILE”)

IFS=$‘\t’ VALUES=($TSV)

PING=${VALUES[2]}

DOWNLOAD=$(echo “scale=2; ${VALUES[5]}/1000/1000*8” | bc -l)

UPLOAD=$(echo “scale=2; ${VALUES[6]}/1000/1000*8” | bc -l)

echo “<<>>”

echo "0 speedtest ping=$PING;;|upload=${UPLOAD}Mbps;;|download=${DOWNLOAD}Mbps;; ping $PING upload ${UPLOAD}Mbps download ${DOWNLOAD}Mbps "

fi

rm -rf “$LOGFILE”

···

Mike Hanby

mhanby @ uab.edu

Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 9:20 PM

I made a slight modification to the ‘speedtest’ script in case anyone else runs across this. I didn’t want to run the ‘speedtest-cli’ Python script as root, so I modified it to run as a user named ‘cmkplugin’ (which has to be manually created
on the host). The user doesn’t need any special privileges.

If the script is run as a user other than root, it will continue to run as that user:

#! /bin/bash

if type speedtest-cli > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then

speedtest-cli --csv > “$LOGFILE”

else

chown cmkplugin $LOGFILE

chmod 660 $LOGFILE

su - cmkplugin -c “/usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv > $LOGFILE”

fi

CSV=$(cat “$LOGFILE”)

IFS=, VALUES=($CSV)

PING=${VALUES[5]}

DOWNLOAD=${VALUES[6]}

UPLOAD=${VALUES[7]}

DOWNLOAD=“$(numfmt --to=iec-i --suffix=B <<< $DOWNLOAD)”

UPLOAD=“$(numfmt --to=iec-i --suffix=B <<< $UPLOAD)”

echo “<<>>”

echo "0 speedtest ping=$PING;;|upload=$UPLOAD;;|download=$DOWNLOAD;; ping $PING upload $UPLOAD download $DOWNLOAD "

fi

rm -rf “$LOGFILE”

The end result is a process tree like this:

root 26992 0.2 0.0 126192 3392 ? S 21:18 0:00 _ su - cmkplugin -c /usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv > /tmp/speedtest.9G4rSNjn

cmkplug+ 26995 0.0 0.0 115312 1704 ? Ss 21:18 0:00 _ -bash -c /usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv > /tmp/speedtest.9G4rSNjn

cmkplug+ 27020 28.9 1.3 1164100 222104 ? Sl 21:18 0:04 _ /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/speedtest-cli --csv

Mike Hanby

mhanby @ uab.edu

Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 8:51 PM
To: Andreas Döhler andreas.doehler@gmail.com

Thanks Andreas,

Thanks for the feedback,

Mike

Mike Hanby

mhanby @ uab.edu

Hi Mike,

Best regards

Andreas

Mike Hanby

mhanby @
uab.edu

checkmk-en mailing list