[Check_mk (english)] Linux RRD / graph issues since upgrade from 1.5.0p5 to 1.6.0p3 cme / check_mk enterprise

Hello,

We upgraded our check_mk and it seems since then I see this message when going into TCP Connections for Linux:

You have configured the RRDs for the services in this graph with different time resolutions. We cannot create a graph, sorry. Please reconfigure the RRDs of the affected
services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/CLOSE_WAIT has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/BOUND has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

I also see this for CPU Utilization

You have configured the RRDs for the services in this graph with different time resolutions. We cannot create a graph, sorry. Please reconfigure the RRDs of the affected
services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/user has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/steal has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

I investigated the output but only see three values coming back for tcp_conn_stats. I haven’t gone further but am not sure what happened. It’s these two that are having issues. The Windows hosts
that we monitor are fine.

I was hoping upgrading the agent would help but it doesn’t.

For tcp_conn_stats it changes, sometimes it’s IDLE and BOUND, or something else. Regardless, only three values are reported AFAICT.

<<<tcp_conn_stats>>>

01 10

0A 5

06 3

Zahid Bukhari |
UNIX / Linux Systems Team Lead

image001.png

···
  1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

2018 WealthManagement.com
Industry Award Winner

2018 & 2019 back-to-back FintechBreakthrough
Award Winner

Hi Zahid,

it looks like that the RRDs where modified before. Now there are new values inside the performance data and the new RRDs are created. But the are created with a different configuration then the old ones.

At the moment i don’t know a easy solution.

You can only take a look at your “~/etc/pnp4nagios/check_commands/”. If you find there files with other dates then 2014 then someone created configurations for storing RRD data in other formats.

The only easy solution is delete the old files and let PNP4Nagios create all the problematic files. But your old graphing data is lost then.

If you want to migration manually the data you can have a look at the export and import function of rrdtool.

Best regards

Andreas

PS: new location for all CheckMK questions and requests - https://forum.checkmk.com

···

Am Mo., 2. Dez. 2019 um 22:11 Uhr schrieb Zahid Bukhari zbukhari@apexclearing.com:

Hello,

We upgraded our check_mk and it seems since then I see this message when going into TCP Connections for Linux:

services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/CLOSE_WAIT has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/BOUND has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/user has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/steal has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

I investigated the output but only see three values coming back for tcp_conn_stats. I haven’t gone further but am not sure what happened. It’s these two that are having issues. The Windows hosts

For tcp_conn_stats it changes, sometimes it’s IDLE and BOUND, or something else. Regardless, only three values are reported AFAICT.

<<<tcp_conn_stats>>>

01 10

0A 5

06 3

Zahid Bukhari |

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

Industry Award Winner

Award Winner

See http://www.apexclearing.com/email-disclaimer/ for terms and conditions related to this email

checkmk-en mailing list

checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de

Manage your subscription or unsubscribe

https://lists.mathias-kettner.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/checkmk-en

Hello Andreas,

First off, thank you. However the only item in there is check_jmx4perl.cfg. The other items are samples.

This one hasn’t been a custom config for TCP connections and or CPU utilization. This was fine up to 1.5.0p5. I’m going to try and see if going back to 1.5.0p5 (i.e. omd set version) will show it fine again.

I did try to just rename the RRD’s to .old, but then no chart shows up and just an error stating that it’s missing the metric.

That’s why I’m hesitant to remove the RRD’s and or not sure if there’s a cleaner way to re-do it.

Let me know if you have any other ideas or thoughts and or methods to perhaps “fill in the blanks” or remove the RRD’s so check_mk doesn’t complain about missing RRDs.

Thank you!

image001.png

···

Zahid Bukhari |

Office: (214) 765-1244

Cell: (312) 961-7031

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

Industry Award Winner

Award Winner

Date: Monday, December 2, 2019 at 3:34 PM
To: Zahid Bukhari zbukhari@apexclearing.com
Cc:checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.decheckmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Linux RRD / graph issues since upgrade from 1.5.0p5 to 1.6.0p3 cme / check_mk enterprise

This is an EXTERNAL EMAIL. STOP. THINK before you CLICK links or OPEN attachments.

Hi Zahid,

it looks like that the RRDs where modified before. Now there are new values inside the performance data and the new RRDs are created. But the are created with a different configuration then the old ones.

At the moment i don’t know a easy solution.

You can only take a look at your “~/etc/pnp4nagios/check_commands/”. If you find there files with other dates then 2014 then someone created configurations for storing RRD data in other formats.

The only easy solution is delete the old files and let PNP4Nagios create all the problematic files. But your old graphing data is lost then.

If you want to migration manually the data you can have a look at the export and import function of rrdtool.

Best regards

Andreas

PS: new location for all CheckMK questions and requests -
https://forum.checkmk.com

Am Mo., 2. Dez. 2019 um 22:11 Uhr schrieb Zahid Bukhari zbukhari@apexclearing.com:

Hello,

You have configured the RRDs for the services in this graph with different time resolutions. We cannot create
a graph, sorry. Please reconfigure the RRDs of the affected services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/CLOSE_WAIT has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/BOUND has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

You have configured the RRDs for the services in this graph with different time resolutions. We cannot create
a graph, sorry. Please reconfigure the RRDs of the affected services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/user has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/steal has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

I investigated the output but only see three values coming back for tcp_conn_stats. I haven’t gone further but am not sure what happened. It’s these
two that are having issues. The Windows hosts that we monitor are fine.

<<<tcp_conn_stats>>>

01 10

0A 5

06 3

Zahid Bukhari |

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

WealthManagement.com Industry Award Winner

& 2019 back-to-back FintechBreakthrough Award Winner

See
http://www.apexclearing.com/email-disclaimer/
for terms and conditions related to this email

checkmk-en mailing list

Hello

I had a problem like this, I was only getting the 4 hour graph for TCP connection stats and CPU utilization and an error message like below. When I looked in the RRD directory for the host, some of the RRDs
were not being update, BOUND and IDLE for example, and when I deleted then my graphs started working properly, with all the historical data.

Wessley

image001.png

image008.png

** Wessley
Hutton** | Senior Systems Programmer,
IT Service and Support

Information Technology

The
Open University, Level 0 North, Berrill Building, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
Tel: +44 (0) 1908 652728

image009.png

image001.png

···

From: checkmk-en checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de
On Behalf Of Zahid Bukhari
Sent: 02 December 2019 21:11
To: checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: [Check_mk (english)] Linux RRD / graph issues since upgrade from 1.5.0p5 to 1.6.0p3 cme / check_mk enterprise

CAUTION: This mail comes from outside the University. Please consider this before opening attachments, clicking links, or acting
on the content.

Hello,

You have configured the RRDs for the services in this graph with different time resolutions. We cannot create a graph, sorry. Please reconfigure the RRDs
of the affected services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/CLOSE_WAIT has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/TCP Connections/BOUND has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

You have configured the RRDs for the services in this graph with different time resolutions. We cannot create a graph, sorry. Please reconfigure the RRDs
of the affected services and use the same configuration. Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/user has 1574607600, 1575312300, 8100, Metric HOST1/CPU utilization/steal has 1574609520, 1575309060, 7860

I investigated the output but only see three values coming back for tcp_conn_stats. I haven’t gone further but am not sure what happened. It’s these two that are having issues.
The Windows hosts that we monitor are fine.

<<<tcp_conn_stats>>>

01 10

0A 5

06 3

Zahid Bukhari |

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

2018 & 2019 back-to-back
FintechBreakthrough Award Winner

See

Hello Wessley,

I tried a rename first and this time I tried a move to /tmp – I still get this:

Cannot get RRD data for d1lzbukharixendev1/TCP Connections/IDLE

Did you have to do anything like flush rrdcached or stop, remove, then start?

image001.png

image002.png

image003.png

image004.png

image005.png

···

Zahid Bukhari |

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

Industry Award Winner

Award Winner

Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 3:14 AM
To: Zahid Bukhari zbukhari@apexclearing.com, “checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.decheckmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: RE: Linux RRD / graph issues since upgrade from 1.5.0p5 to 1.6.0p3 cme / check_mk enterprise

This is an EXTERNAL EMAIL. STOP. THINK before you CLICK links or OPEN attachments.

Hello

I had a problem like this, I was only getting the 4 hour graph for TCP connection stats and CPU utilization and an error message like below. When I looked in the RRD directory for the host, some of the RRDs
were not being update, BOUND and IDLE for example, and when I deleted then my graphs started working properly, with all the historical data.

Wessley

Wessley Hutton
| Senior Systems Programmer, IT Service and Support

Information Technology

The Open University,
Level 0 North, Berrill Building, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA

Subject: [Check_mk (english)] Linux RRD / graph issues since upgrade from 1.5.0p5 to 1.6.0p3 cme / check_mk enterprise

CAUTION: This mail comes from outside the University. Please consider this before opening attachments, clicking links, or acting on the content.

Hello,

<<<tcp_conn_stats>>>

01 10

0A 5

06 3

Zahid Bukhari |

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

See

– The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated by
the Financial Conduct Authority in relation to its secondary activity of credit broking.

Hello Zahid,

If i modify the RRD files i would da a flush of the RRDcache before any file moving or renaming.

This can be done with a – echo “FLUSHALL” | unixcat ~/tmp/run/rrdcached.sock inside your site.

Before i do this i would only stop the core that no new performance data is pushed inside the RRDcache.

Then stop the RRDcached do your things with the RRD files and then start the RRDcached and then the core again.

Best regards

Andreas

···

Am Di., 3. Dez. 2019 um 18:01 Uhr schrieb Zahid Bukhari zbukhari@apexclearing.com:

Hello Wessley,

I tried a rename first and this time I tried a move to /tmp – I still get this:

Cannot get RRD data for d1lzbukharixendev1/TCP Connections/IDLE

Did you have to do anything like flush rrdcached or stop, remove, then start?

Zahid Bukhari |

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

Industry Award Winner

Award Winner

Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 3:14 AM
To: Zahid Bukhari zbukhari@apexclearing.com, “checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.decheckmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: RE: Linux RRD / graph issues since upgrade from 1.5.0p5 to 1.6.0p3 cme / check_mk enterprise

Hello

Wessley

Wessley Hutton

Senior Systems Programmer, IT Service and Support

Information Technology

The Open University,
Level 0 North, Berrill Building, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA

CAUTION: This mail comes from outside the University. Please consider this before opening attachments, clicking links, or acting on the content.

Hello,

<<<tcp_conn_stats>>>

01 10

0A 5

06 3

Zahid Bukhari |

1. W. Jackson Blvd.

Suite 500

Chicago, IL 60604

See

– The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated by
the Financial Conduct Authority in relation to its secondary activity of credit broking.

checkmk-en mailing list