[Check_mk (english)] windows_updates.vbs(31, 1) (null): 0x8024400A

Hi

Today I removed a WSUS server from a network and now all servers report “WARN - Missing agent sections: windows_updates”

Running “check_mk_agent.exe test” on one of the servers I get this error “C:\Program Files (x86)\check_mk\plugins\windows_updates.vbs(31, 1) (null): 0x8024400A”

I’m using the updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Any ideas?

/Max

image001.png

···

Från: Randal, Phil [mailto:phil.randal@hoopleltd.co.uk]
Skickat: den 26 oktober 2012 12:16
Till: Max Matslofva; checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Ämne: RE: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

It’ll still take 25 seconds once or twice a day. The Windows Update check seems to be disk and processor intensive and was giving bad user desktop interactivity experiences on some of our terminal
servers, which is what motivated me to ‘fix’ the plugin to check less frequently.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer
Hoople Ltd | Thorn Office Centre | Hereford HR2 6JT

Tel: 01432 260415 | Email:
phil.randal@hoopleltd.co.uk

checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de [mailto:checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de]
On Behalf Of Max Matslofva
Sent: 26 October 2012 10:12
To: checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Thanks Phil

It reduced the check_mk_agent execution time from about 25 to 3 seconds!

/Max

Från:
checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de [mailto:checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de]
För Randal, Phil
Skickat: den 26 oktober 2012 10:54
Till: Antonio Pereira;
checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Ämne: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

You need to re-inventory the box.

check_mk –I

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

Sent: 25 October 2012 19:27
To: Randal, Phil; checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: RE: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Hello,

First, I have never used windows update. I saw your posting and decided to add it in.

I copied the windows_update.vbs to the check_mk folder under plugins.

I then ran a check from the nagios server but I do not see any checks created called System Updates.

Do I need to define something in the windows host in the check_mk.ini file?

Thanks I advance

On Behalf Of Randal, Phil
Sent: October 25, 2012 12:30 PM
Subject: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Hi folks,

We had a problem here where the windows_updates.vbs plugin was taking up too much resources to be run on every check_mk call, so I’ve modified it to cache the test results. Actual checks are randomised at 16 to 24 hour
intervals so all your servers won’t do a ‘real’ check at the same hour of day.

Based on the code in the thread here:

http://www.monitoring-portal.org/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=23509

That code used an asynchronous script to do the real updates check. That proved problematic for me, so I went for the more pragmatic synchronous single-script solution.

It would be great if this, or a variant of it, was added to the check_mk distribution.

The updated script is attached this email with a .txt extension.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

“Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Hoople Ltd. You should be aware that
Hoople Ltd. monitors its email service. This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. This communication may contain material protected by law from being passed on. If you are not the intended recipient
and have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies
of it.

Fix the group policy which points the servers at the now non-existent WSUS server?

Phil

image001.png

···

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

From: checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de [mailto:checkmk-en-bounces@lists.mathias-kettner.de]
Sent: 05 March 2013 15:18
Subject: [Check_mk (english)] windows_updates.vbs(31, 1) (null): 0x8024400A

Hi

Today I removed a WSUS server from a network and now all servers report “WARN - Missing agent sections: windows_updates”

Running “check_mk_agent.exe test” on one of the servers I get this error “C:\Program Files (x86)\check_mk\plugins\windows_updates.vbs(31, 1) (null): 0x8024400A”

I’m using the updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Any ideas?

/Max

Till: Max Matslofva;
Ämne: RE: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

It’ll still take 25 seconds once or twice a day. The Windows Update check seems to be disk and processor intensive and was giving bad user desktop interactivity experiences on some of our terminal servers, which
is what motivated me to ‘fix’ the plugin to check less frequently.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Thanks Phil

/Max

Från:
För Randal, Phil
Ämne: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

check_mk –I

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

Subject: RE: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Hello,

First, I have never used windows update. I saw your posting and decided to add it in.

I then ran a check from the nagios server but I do not see any checks created called System Updates.

Thanks I advance

Subject: [Check_mk (english)] Updated windows_updates.vbs which caches the Windows Updates check

Hi folks,

We had a problem here where the windows_updates.vbs plugin was taking up too much resources to be run on every check_mk call, so I’ve modified it to cache the test results. Actual checks are randomised at 16 to 24 hour intervals so all
your servers won’t do a ‘real’ check at the same hour of day.

That code used an asynchronous script to do the real updates check. That proved problematic for me, so I went for the more pragmatic synchronous single-script solution.

It would be great if this, or a variant of it, was added to the check_mk distribution.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

“Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Hoople Ltd. You should be aware that Hoople Ltd. monitors
its email service. This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. This communication may contain material protected by law from being passed on. If you are not the intended recipient and have received
this e-mail in error, you are advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of it.

Thanks Phil

The GPO did the trick!

/Max

image001.png

···

Skickat: den 5 mars 2013 16:28
Till: Max Matslofva; checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Ämne: RE: windows_updates.vbs(31, 1) (null): 0x8024400A

Fix the group policy which points the servers at the now non-existent WSUS server?

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

Sent: 05 March 2013 15:18
Subject: [Check_mk (english)] windows_updates.vbs(31, 1) (null): 0x8024400A

Hi

Any ideas?

/Max

Till: Max Matslofva;

It’ll still take 25 seconds once or twice a day. The Windows Update check seems to be disk and processor intensive and was giving bad user desktop interactivity experiences on some of our terminal
servers, which is what motivated me to ‘fix’ the plugin to check less frequently.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

Thanks Phil

/Max

Från:
För Randal, Phil

check_mk –I

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

Hello,

Thanks I advance

Hi folks,

We had a problem here where the windows_updates.vbs plugin was taking up too much resources to be run on every check_mk call, so I’ve modified it to cache the test results. Actual checks are randomised at 16 to 24 hour
intervals so all your servers won’t do a ‘real’ check at the same hour of day.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal

Infrastructure Engineer

“Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Hoople Ltd. You should be aware that
Hoople Ltd. monitors its email service. This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. This communication may contain material protected by law from being passed on. If you are not the intended recipient
and have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies
of it.