Check_mk: ERROR: Duplicate service description (auto check) 'Disk IO sdb' for host 'thehost'! - 1st occurrence: check plugin / item: diskstat / 'sdb' - 2nd occurrence: check plugin / item: ucd_diskio / 'sdb'

CMK version:
Check_MK version 2.1.0p32 CEE

OS version:
Rocky Linux release 8.9 (Green Obsidian)

Error message:
When activating services I keep seeing the same diskio error/warning:
check_mk: ERROR: Duplicate service description (auto check) ‘Disk IO sda’ for host ‘thehost’! - 1st occurrence: check plugin / item: diskstat / ‘sda’ - 2nd occurrence: check plugin / item: ucd_diskio / ‘sda’

From cli:

$ cmk -O
Generating configuration for core (type nagios)…

WARNING: ERROR: Duplicate service description (auto check) ‘Disk IO sda’ for host ‘thehost’!

• 1st occurrence: check plugin / item: diskstat / ‘sda’
  • 2nd occurrence: check plugin / item: ucd_diskio / ‘sda’

All hosts exhibiting this issue are monitored via SNMP as well and we do not intend to disable SNMP monitoring on them just yet.
I found multiple topics similar to this one, but I can’t seem to find a solution yet. What I’m interested in is (I think) to disable one of the 2 services, or change the service description for one of them.
Any suggestions, other than disabling SNMP checks? TIA

One question first - why do you monitor agent based hosts also with SNMP?

To solve the issue the easiest way is - disable the “ucd_diskio” SNMP check for all your hosts that have also an agent.
→ “Disabled or enabled sections (SNMP)” → select

with a condition like

3 Likes

Yes, “Disabled or enabled sections (SNMP)” was the solution in our case, followed by “cmk -II” against the affected hosts.
SNMP is used to monitor Dell OpenManage sensors.
Thank you.

I would not recommend this over the operating system.
If you really need the OpenManage checks there you should disable all other SNMP sections not only the “ucd_diskio”.
In case where i use SNMP and agent in parallel, i disable all sections starting with hr_, if… , ucd, snmp and inv.

Good points, thank you.