Check status of VPN interface - define CRITICAL status if interface is not present

Hi,

I use a VPN connection on my ubuntu machine and want to monitor it properly. I installed the check_mk agent on the machine and it runs smoothly.
The VPN interface is dynamically created once the the VPN connection is established --> interface name: tun0
If the interface is up, I get the proper status: OK - [tun0] (up) speed unknown …

My problem is if the VPN connection goes down. In this case, the VPN interface is not present anymore and check_mk only reports this as WARNING. I would like to have the status CRITICAL once the interface is not present anymore.
What I get currently if the interface is down:
State: UNKN
Status detail: UNKN - No such interface

What I tried, is to create a manual rule for the host by adding a new rule in “Network interfaces and switchports”. Here I used “Map operational states”. I thought that assigning “6 - not present” to “CRIT” would do the job but it doesn’t.

It seems I need to use a different check but I don’t know which one. Maybe some of you can help.
thx in advance.

p.s. I looked at the “VPN tunnel” check, but as the IP of the VPN gateway is not fixed, this doesn’t help either.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.