CheckMK 2.0.0p5 - SNMPv3 - Contexts to use in requests

Hello everyone.
I currently have a test vm with checkmk v1.6 on my pc and I almost finished to configure the server with checkmk v2.0.

I’m facing a problem trying to monitor an EPSON plotter using SNMPv3. In such device is mandatory to set a context name for SNMPv3 so I set the SNMP rule “SNMPv3 contexts to use in requests”

The rule in cmk v2 shows a different field to configure respect to the previous version:
v1.6 → Checktype (I chosed "All SNMP checks)
v2.0 → Section name (?? “All SNMP checks” option no more available)

The configuration on checkmk v1.6 works, the other one not. I get the following error during the test:
SNMP Error on IP ADDRESS: snmpbulkwalk: Authentication failure (incorrect password, community or key) (Exit-Code: 1)

SNMP configuration is correct. Infact, if I try to start a snmpwalk as below:
snmpwalk -v3 -l authPriv -u USER-NAME -a SHA -A ‘PASSPHRASE’ -x AES -X ‘PASSPHRASE’ -n CONTEXT IP-ADDRESS
I receive information from both checkmk

Can someone help me to understand where I’m wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Mattia

Hello,

apparently I just need to select the right plug-in under “Section name” but I tried all the snmp related ones without found the solution. Nobody can help me or encountered the same situation?
As wrote in the previous message, starting a snmpwalk from command line I get info from the device

OMD[mysite] :~$ snmpwalk -v3 -l authPriv -u USER-NAME -a SHA -A ‘PASSPHRASE’ -x AES -X ‘PASSPHRASE’ -n CONTEXT IP-ADDRESS

Thanks!

The problem is, if you need the context already to fetch the system description OID, then you get no information at the moment as the discovery don’t use the set context.

This should be a feature request that it is possible to set the context per host and not per check.
This is a information for @martin.hirschvogel i think :slight_smile:

Context could be a possible setting already at the snmp v3 credentials.

Hi Andreas, thanks a lot for your answer.

Yes, probably it will simplify the game :slight_smile: Hope checkmk developers can considerer it

However I have not understood yet exactly why checkmk v1.6 works choosing “All SNMP checks” option. Probably the way how the rule works changed

Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.