CheckMK v2.2 - Rocky Linux 9.2

Good Day All,

Does anyone know if CheckMK 2.2 is currently working with Rocky Linux 9.2? I installed CheckMK on Rocky Linux 9.2 successfully with dependents through using Yum Install command. The CheckMK site started but when trying to connect to web page, I am getting unable to connect. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks
Steve

Hallo,
no solutiion but as an hint.
You have seen that Redhat will make the conditions harder for distributions that are basing on Rehat?
Ralf

1 Like

This more sounds like selinux and/or firewalld issue. You can try setenforce 0 and systemctl stop firewalld to crosscheck if this might be the case here.

2 Likes

Hi RPrengel - Thinking should stick to Ubuntu until Rocky Linux matures a bit. Yes it is a suppose to be a clone of Red-Hat like Centos was, but it is still relatively new.

As the old saying goes - you have to crawl before you can walk :slight_smile:

Thanks
Steve

Hi dabrain/ Tried that already. I just stick with Ubuntu until Rocky Linux matures a bit more :slight_smile:

It looks like you have not locked in any logs at all? That is normally the first place to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Our Official User Guide has detailed instruction for the firewall/SElinux setup. I tested it with the latest Almalinux 8 prior to release.

Please tell me whether you followed the guide. If you did, I’ll dig deeper with Rocky. We all know that binary compatible packages not always mean the same defaults at installation time.

Not entirely fitting the profile, but my situation is:

• existing Checkmk(Raw) 2.1.0p30 on Rocky 8.7
  • using migrate to new server scenario to go to a new host with Rocky 9.2

Behaviour seen:

• since migration the new hosts does not seem to pickup its own checks ( keeps moaning about invalid key, even tho this was corrected), so no data is received, checking on commandline does provide the required input.

• Inventory for atleast a few hosts seems to be incomplete, or at least not working, however as its refreshed only evert 24Hrz i will have to see whats going on after the day.

Yet to test ( last one failed on the old Rocky8.x host) is an upgrade to a 2.2.x version from this new Rocky 9.2 box.

As soon as i have an answer i will provide feedback from it.

• Glowsone

german only

english

1 Like

Little update from me regarding the behaviour seen after moving to a new host:

• Monitor host complaining about invalid key
    => solved with running from within OMD user/site ssh -l root -i /etc/check_mk/check_mk.key [IP_of_Monitoring_host]
  • Inventory of hosts which were incomplete/missing was solved by forcing a services rescan (per affected host)

So next will be the move to 2.2.pxx to report back on.

• Glowsome

So this is just a recording of steps performed by me in upgrading - starting off from:

• Rocky 9.2 OS (latest/patched up to date)
  • Checkmk Raw Edition 2.1.0p30

Detail : i have a federative authentication scheme in place over SAML with mod_auth_mellon

So i started out with the regular thing … downloading the appropriate version.
(in this i have a fixed spot where i download my packages to: /usr/local/install/packages/)
Its created on all boxes i install/setup.

wget https://download.checkmk.com/checkmk/2.2.0p4/check-mk-raw-2.2.0p4-el9-38.x86_64.rpm

After the download i’ve installed the package (still no rocket-science here):
dnf install check-mk-raw-2.2.0p4-el9-38.x86_64.rpm -y

Then logged into my site with OMD, and stopped it.

omd su [mysite]
omd stop

Then issued the update…
omd update

Followed the on-screen option to upgrade.
Result : from the upgrade … all done.

… with a message :

-|  Users with outdated, no longer supported password hashes have been found. These users will be unable to log in.
-| Please manually reset these users' passwords either in Setup > Users or on the commandline using the cmk-passwd command.
-| The following users are affected:
-| cmkadmin
-| myaccountname

then issued a start via
omd start

And the first thing which is broken is my federated login … i am dropped to the ‘native login’ even tho the password locally is not in use … so from my end the upgrade seems to bork on this, killing my SAML config, which should not have any dealings with local password hashed, as its authentication is delegated to my IdentityProvider.

So … --------------Rollback---------------

• Glowsome

Does anyone know if CheckMK 2.2 is currently working with Rocky Linux 9.2? I installed CheckMK on Rocky Linux 9.2 successfully with dependents through using Yum Install command. The CheckMK site started but when trying to connect to web page, I am getting unable to connect. Has anyone seen this before?

I can confirm this issue as well.

[root@alma9 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
AlmaLinux release 9.2 (Turquoise Kodkod)

I have to reconfigure my site by omd config $SITENAME and setup the correct external IP and Port. For whatever reason it was set to 127.0.0.1:5000

And I was not able to use Port 80, need to further investigate here to figure out the right configuration on this.

When using Port 80 I got this during the start:

Starting apache...(13)Permission denied: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 192.168.178.95:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
AH00015: Unable to open logs
..........ERROR

As mention Ports above 1024 are fine, like Port 5000. You might then need semange and/or firewall-cmd to setup the rest accordingly.

I have CMK RAW 2.2 running on Rocky 9.2 as a testbox for OIDC authentication- which is an issue since that version, so investigating/trying to fix.

The (clean) installation is quite straightforward, i even have it running as a LXC-container.

• Install basic OS
  • install repo epel-release dnf install epel-release
  • download the CMK install rpm ( on rocky9 (same as Alma9) select el9) type.
  • try to install it with rpm -Uvh <packagename>, install additional packages needed by the list presented, if the install moans about missing packages, dont use Yum, use dnf as package-manager to install missing packages.

When all dependencies are fulfilled create your site omd create <yoursitename>
And start your site omd start

No issues found here, it just came up and was able to login.

Glowsome

Try to reboot the system and check afterwards if the side is still up and running. After reboot at least in my test setup the site was’nt running anylonger

I have rebooted the box and the check_mk processes several times, and still i cannot reproduce.

So :

• what does omd status tell you ?
  • Apache logs examined ?
  • do you have a listener om port 127.0.0.1:5000 ? netstat -tulpn | grep 5000

Glowsome