Cloudera Manager - hierarchy of services

Hello,

in our BigData world we are using also Cloudera Manager beside MapR as I mentioned in my other topics.

I would like to ask for some hint, how to improve the monitoring.
Here is the layout I’ve configured.
Node1 & Node2 are running same services, on both is installed Cloudera Manager and for checking Cloudera services I’m using HariSekhon plugins. They are pretty good.
On top of that, in Check_MK cluster CLOUDERA1 is created in Clustered Services and I have assigned services to that cluster.

Cloudera Manager is pretty complex SW, running multiple services across multiple datanodes. It has main process “Cloudera” which is serving RESTAPI service. Mentioned plugins are gathering info through this service. Current layout is working pretty fine, we are getting alarms from each service if they fail, and then transoformed as incidents in HP Service Manager 9.

If main process “Cloudera” fails, plugins can’t reach the RESTAPI and they became CRIT. That’s fine, but problem is that in that case we get as many incidents as how many we have services monitored for Cloudera.

I’m scratiching my head, how to figure some kind of hierarchy, dependency on services.
How to make Virtual host(cluster) in Check_MK GUI dependent on some service. Like in second picture. So, if main process “Cloudera” fails, the cluster of services on top of this service will be shown like HOST_DOWN or smething similar therefore no alarms of services under this cluster will be created. Just this one for host.

I tried to make second virtual host in GUI, which will have configured child as first virtual host and first virtual host will have configured child as node1. But that doesn’t work.

Current layout:

Desired layout:

Apparantely I found a solution for it. Pretty simple solution.
In Check_MK:
Create standard HOST, server1 with IP.
Create standard HOST, server1_cm with same IP as server1

Disable all services on it, just leave the one I need + other custom plugins.
Create VIRTUAL HOST (Cluster) cloudera_services and make it as parent for server1_cm.
In Clustered services assign custom plugins to Cluster cloudera_services.

In Host Check Command create rule and change the default value to “Use the status of service…”
image and define the services, in my case main cloudera process which provides RESTAPI, and set explicit hosts to server1_cm and that’s it.

Now when the service fails, the host server1 is OK, server1_cm is CRIT and Cluster on top of, is UNREACH. That means for me that notifications from services on Cluster will not be created.

Will test notification in production later.

Simple solution, but I totaly forgot about Host Check Command parameter.

This was colosal fail, when I tested it in production.
Problem is that even the virtual cluster host appears as DOWN, the checks under it are still working. I thought that they will became unreachable when host went DOWN.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.