Cmc.log is full of Errors: Error creating RRD for pnp_multiple... but this RRD exists

Hello check_mk community,
After an upgrade to 2.0.0p9 (CEE), we see a lot of errors in cmc.log like below.

2021-11-25 16:07:18 [4] [main] [RRD helper 1447052] [log] Error creating RRD for pnp_multiple;<hostname>;proc_runpup;pcpu;2.454897: Tried to create /opt/omd/sites/asd3/var/pnp4nagios/perfdata/<hostname>/proc_runpup_pcpu.rrd, but this RRD exists.

Please advice

If you don’t miss any historical data in your graphs, you can get rid of this message by stopping your site for a brief moment, running cmk -v --convert-rrds --delete-rrds and then starting the site again.

The command will convert any historical perfdata remaining in the old format and convert it into the new format.

More information is available here: Performance data and graphing - Evaluating measured values in Checkmk quickly and easily

Hello Simon,
Thanks for your reply. The “cmk -v --convert-rrds --delete-rrds” did not work. I’m still getting entries in de cmc.log file.
jamal

The possible problem is that you have a system with “mixed” RRDs at the moment.
Can you have a look at your “~/var/pnp4nagios/perfdata/” folder and check how many data is there left after the convert?
If you check this for one if the entries from the log you should find an RRD file but no corresponding XML i think.

I also experienced the problem described above on an upgraded 2.0.0p24 (CEE).

I did try

Afterwards I still have a folder per monitored host in my “~/var/pnp4nagios/perfdata/” folder and ~/var/check_mk/rrd/ is empty.

I noticed that e.g. for Filesystem_*.rrd I get the error only for these 2 (but on many hosts):

• Filesystem___growth.rrd
  • Filesystem___trend.rrd

Filesystem_*.xml ( mentioned by @andreas-doehler ) files are present for the hosts mentioned in the log and also 4 more rrds per filesystem-service, checkmk does not complain about being present:

• Filesystem___fs_size.rrd
  • Filesystem___fs_used_percent.rrd
  • Filesystem___fs_used.rrd
  • Filesystem___inodes_used.rrd

Then you forgot to create the RRD rules inside your configuration.
Please first create two rules with “Configuration of RRD databases of services/hosts” and then do the convert again.

Thank you Andreas,
Your solution solved the problem.
Solution:
Create RRD rules for hosts/services
omd stop
cmk -v --convert-rrds --delete-rrds
cmk -v --convert-rrds
omd start
Kind regards,
Jamal

Hi Jamal,

We have a troubleshooting guide for a lot for the rrd issues. You may want to check that: RRD - Checkmk Knowledge Base - Checkmk Knowledge Base

Br
Anastasios

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.