CPU Utilization false alerts

CMK version: 2.0.0p5.cfe
OS version: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

I am using the “CPU utilization for simple device” service monitor rule to monitor CPU utilization on a vCenter Server appliance. The rule is set to the default 80% Warning, 90% Critical thresholds.

For some reason this alert triggers a warning many nights at 12:00AM during a scheduled backup of the appliance even though it’s clear from both the graph in the alert email as well as the vCenter VAMI interface that the % utilization never reaches above 60%.

So I don’t understand why the alert is being triggered.

Hi @jscovill,
The Summary shows 83% - that this is missing in the graph might just be a timing issue. I.e. the alert is created at 00:00:42, but and for this the graph gets pulled, but the 83% measurement is only saved to the graph maybe 1-2 seconds later.
If you check the graph now, I’m assuming it will show a 83% peak on thu apr 7 at 00:01/00:00

But the utilization never reached that according to both the appliance VAMI or the vCenter performance stats. Nor did it exceed 60% in the graph for service:

you’re graphing is showing apr 13 and 14, not the 7th :slight_smile:

There are several options to avoid unnecessary notifications.

• The Check “CPU utilization for simple devices” offers several tuning knobs where not only the thresholds, but also timeranges in which a value exceeds the threshold can be tuned.
  • You should always use the rulesets “Maximum number of check attemps for hosts/services” to define the number of checks until the hard state is reached.
  • You can consider delaying notifications for specific services if they are still too noisy.
  • You can use time ranges for notifications, so that no notification is generated during the daily backup.
  • As a last option, you can turn off notifications for specific services completely.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.