Custom host check, no services

Hi forum!

I want to monitor a host without any services, I need only a custom host-check by ssh to see if the host is up/down. Is this possible? If yes:

Where and how do I create my custom host-check for all hosts in a specific folder?
Where and how do I deactivate the default PING-Checks for all hosts in a specific folder?

Regards
Klaus

A custom host check is just a Nagios plugin script that should be stored in $OMD_ROOT/local/lib/nagios/plugins.

The PING check is configured automatically if the host would not have a service check otherwise. This cannot be disabled. But you can assign check_dummy as an active check to these hosts to disable the ICMP check.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for your reply.
I will try this!

Regards

Hi r.sander!
I’m sorry, I’m new to cmk. Could you please explain a bit more?
I need to create a host check which has for example the hostname as parameter and executes a ssh-script on a remote host. The result of this script is the OK/CRITICAL status of the checked hostname.
Because I check it with my ssh-script on the remote host, I don’t need the PING-Check Service.

My idea was to create this check in $OMD_ROOT/local/lib/nagios/plugins and assign it with WATO to a folder with all the hosts in it. But how do I do that?

Regards
Klaus

There is the ruleset “Host Check Command” for assigning a custom host check to a host.

With the ruleset “Classical active and passive Monitoring checks” you can assign check_dummy as a service check to the host to avoid the PING check. check_dummy comes with checkmk in $OMD_ROOT/lib/nagios/plugins.

1 Like

Got it and it works! Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.