Dashboard Template

Hello community!
I’ve been using the free version for 5 years and have just recently upgraded to the Checkmk Enterprise Edition.

Until now I’ve been using CheckMK for basic Windows server checks.
I’ve recently started monitoring different hardware (Switches, UPS, firewalls). With SNMP it’s not difficult to get feedback, but on this kind of hardware I can’t really make a user-friendly dashboard.

For example, for a switch, I’d like to display the up or down status of each port… but all I can manage is an interface with 48 big, ugly squares (for 1 switch, and I have 7 to supervise).
Not easy to formalize a display idea with the “view” system in CheckMK.

That’s why I was wondering if anyone had made a site/topic/video… with different dashboard templates depending on the type of equipment being monitored?

For example, a template for a cisco 48 Ports switch
a template for EATON 9PX UPS …

Thanks for your help if you have something to recommend :wink:

Hi SINT-Nico,

you may have a hard time to find that kinda stuff - yet! Since Checkmk version 2.2.0 dashboards, as well as views and reports, can be exported and shared as extension packages (MKPs). The feature is pretty new, so in the Checkmk Exchange up to now there is only a test dashboard - but in the future you (hopefully :wink: ) find dashboard templates in the Exchange.

Hi,
do you know this video:

?

Karl

Hi Bili,
that’s great news, thanks for the information!

Hi Kdeutsch,
yes, I’ve seen this video, but unfortunately it doesn’t give me the information I need to implement my ideas.

It would be nice to use the honeycomb / hexagons dashlet for this purpose. But that one only works for hosts, not for individual services…

Hello Nicolas,

Are you thinking of mapping the port status on an image like some web interfaces do?

Or would a matrix of the ports suffice? As long as you can access the data a lot of things are possible.

Or you can use the grafana interface in the Enterprise Edition. Grafana has several custom dashboards for switches. But then you have to maintain another software package.

I would build such a dashboard using a view to get dynamic list of states and then some graphs to see some relevant metrics.
With that, it would be easy to adapt to other switches etc