Debian 10 - check-mk-agent doesnt create Socket

Hello,
we recently installed an agent on a Debian system but it seems like the socket on port 6556 is not created properly. Any help on solving the problem is appreciated.

The system

Installing the agent-package

Validating installation and services

Via netstat there doesnt seen to be a socket corresponding to the agent services

Connection-teset with telnet also fails

Units are loaded, active and running

Iptables rules are set (also tried with flushed ruleset, but same effect)

So we don’t get any errors or messages that something went wrong. It’s just that the socket is not there and nothing is listening on port 6556.

Any idea or help is very much apprecited.
Thanks in advance
mgr

What version of Debian and systemd are you using?
Are you using the IP whitelist feature?

lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release: 10
Codename: buster

systemctl --version

systemd 241 (241)
+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN2 +IDN -PCRE2 default-hierarchy=hybrid

no whitelist feature as far as i know
i also added the desired server-ip as source to iptables
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s www.xxx.yyy.zzz --dport 6556 -j ACCEPT

Hi @mgr

Personally, I haven’t run into this issue. If you have a cmk-agent-ctl-daemon though, can it be, that you’re using the 2.1 beta, which seems to require TLS for some things? There was someone with a similar problem, who needed to touch a file to get the socket to “exist”. Please see this comment: Agent lauscht nicht an Port 6556 systemd - #9 by gulaschcowboy

The post is in German, but the relevant part - if I understood correctly - was to touch /var/lib/cmk-agent/allow-legacy-pull if one isn’t using, or doesn’t want to use TLS.

HTH,
Thomas

The master branch of our handbook gives you an overview over the new agent: Monitoring Linux - The new agent for Linux in detail
Please do not use that branch for everyday though.

touch /var/lib/cmk-agent/allow-legacy-pull solved the issue
thank you very much

Well, solved is not the right word. You should use a more up-to-date beta version and check out the TLS encryption. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.