Dell iDRAC Restful Redfish API Agent

Dear @andreas-doehler !
I tried your plugin in my lab environment

• Checkmk: Checkmk Raw Edition 2.1.0p16
  • Dell iDRAC Restful API Checks: version 1.8, 1.6
  • PowerEdge R620 and R720

The installation and configuration are quite convenient, but after checking the checkmk interface after successful configuration, I don’t see information about RAM.

I also tried switching to checkmk 2.0 but the result is still missing the RAM parameter.

On the interface of IDRAC I still see the full parameter, even on some other tools using redfish I still see the parameter about RAM. Below are some pictures of the environment that I tested.

Imgur

iDrac INFO
Imgur
Can you guide me to check why the RAM parameter is not displayed on the checkmk interface?

Thank you

You can try a

cmk --debug -vvI hostname

On the command line as site user. If there are no errors you can sent me the agent output as PM and i can have look what goes wrong on your system.

1 Like

I have sent the result of the above command via private message to you

Thanks!

I couldn’t find a place to PM, so I posted the results here

Thanks

You can click on my picture and select “Message” there.

Hi @andreas-doehler

I can’t find the message item as you suggested. Can you see the results I sent above?

:frowning: you can also sent it to my mail → andreas.doehler@gmail.com

What i see from the “cmk -vvI” output is that there is no memory section.
That is strange.
I need to output of the special agent. The complete command you can see with “cmk -D hostname”

I think the new topic was not wanted :wink:
I need the output of this

/omd/sites/mon/local/share/check_mk/agents/special/agent_dell_idrac  -u 'root' -p 'XXXXXX '192.168.20.248'

command. You should not use the root account for the monitoring please create a read only user for the monitoring.

:D, I also do not see in the results in the attached file there is a parameter about RAM :frowning:

But on the interface IDRAC or above still show them.

The system section has no memory information. I think this is problem with the old iDRAC.
This iDRAC 7 don’t support all the Redfish features like the newer 8 and 9 versions.

What tool do you use, that uses Redfish, to view the information?
All tools i know use the old legacy SNMP data.

1 Like

You can check if the system provides memory information over Redfish with.

https://idrac-ip/redfish/v1/Systems/System.Embedded.1/Memory

This should work if you logged in to the system and then open this URL.
If you get information with this URL then the problem is only that there is a missing memory link inside the system object.

1 Like

Output on URL https: // idrac-ip/redfish/v1/Systems/System.Embedded.1/Memory

I used to use netbox and got a plugin to integrate with netbox and display RAM parameters GitHub - bb-Ricardo/check_redfish: A monitoring/inventory plugin to check components and health status of systems which support Redfish. It will also create a inventory of all components of a system.,

Dear @andreas-doehler

Can you check the results in the above post for me? The server environment I have pretty much iDRAC v7. If you can fix the plugin you provided on v7 that would be great.

I will try on a server with iDRAC v8 and get back to you.

Many thanks for your contribution, I will recommend this product to my friends.

I see the difference between the netbox plugin and my approach.
Inside my special agent i only fetch the chassis URL and look there for links. The netbox ones fetches the systems URL.
I made a generic Redfish agent

If you can test this one.
It is not production ready as i had not enough time to test :smiley: but it should work.

1 Like

I have sent you a private message, please take a look.

I tried on idrac v8 but same problem as idrac v7 :frowning:

I also tried Redfish agent but it’s giving me an error. I will check this out later.

Thank you

Hi @andreas-doehler
I’m testing the iDRAC special agent and I tried to use it to monitor resources registered on Dell “OpenManage Enterprise”.
It works and I was able to extract some informations but it returns only 50 results on more or less 300 that I can see if I login to the web management interface using the same user credentials.

The command:
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/agents/special/agent_dell_idrac -u myuser -p mypass <OME_ip_address>

ends with no error or reporting timeout issues. It requires al least 8 minutes to return this 50 results.

Any ideas on what could be the cause of this limit?

Actually on CheckMk 2.1.0p18.cre

Please don’t use the old iDRAC Redfish agent anymore. The universal Redfish agent is the way to go.
https://exchange.checkmk.com/p/redfish
There is a version for 2.1 and 2.2
The generic agent should fetch all the information of the vendor dependent agents and some new ones.
If you execute the agent manually you should also see at what point it takes so much time.
The generic agent also has the possibility to select only some sections and omit the too time consuming ones.

If you can provide me some information about the missing output, it would be helpful to see if it can be included.

Wonderful.
We saw the new universal Redfish agent and we are very interested to it because we also have some very problematic xClarity resource to monitor too. I hadn’t seen the version for 2.1.x, we will switch on it sooner as possible.
Thank you.