Deprecation of the Service Tags feature

Rephrasing what Thomas said: The post here is your chance to make your voice heard, if you are using this feature. It’s a way for us to test the waters as well. F.e. in the Deprecation of the Favorites feature thread, we see that no one actually seems to care about the feature.
And, we use our top partners and our consultants as a proxy as it is not viable for us to reach out manually to 3000+ customers. To facilitate open exchange and discuss topics like this, we build this forum (instead of the old mailing list, which some might remember) as well.

If you use the feature heavily or have dedicated workflows depending on this feature, please send me a direct message here in the forum and I will reach out to you.

Thus, please use the chance and send Thomas a message. It gives us then the chance to go into a 1-on-1 discussion with you to better understand why and how you use the feature, and helps us to decide how to move forward with this.

To shine some history on the feature: When we added cloud monitoring in Checkmk 1.6, we wondered how to best integrate “labels”, which are a key element to cloud services. As we already had host tags, we thought why not reuse this concept and introduce service tags. Quickly we realized, this is not the right path due to the required flexibility, thus we introduced host and service labels. What we should have done back then was to immediately remove the commit with the service tags. That’s why you also don’t see a big werk announcing the service tags and any comment on service tags in the documentation. (@LaMi please correct me if I am wrong as I just joined the company back then)