Deprecation of the Favorites feature

Dear Checkmk community,

We are announcing the deprecation of the Favorites feature in Checkmk 2.2. This feature has been in Checkmk for a long time, but we have decided to remove it due to its limited usage.

We understand that this feature was useful for some users, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are committed to providing the best experience for our users, and we believe that this change will help us to do that.

If you use the feature heavily or have dedicated workflows depending on this feature, please send me a direct message here in the forum and I will reach out to you.

Why does tribe29 deprecate features in Checkmk
There are a number of reasons why it might make sense to deprecate a feature in a software product:

• A feature may be outdated or superseded by a newer, better feature
  • A feature is no longer being actively used or has not got the adoption initially expected
  • Deprecating a feature can help to simplify the Checkmk codebase and make it easier to understand and maintain
  • Deprecating a feature can help to improve the overall Checkmk user experience by eliminating confusing or unnecessary functionality

Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

The Checkmk product team

3 Likes

What is this Favorites feature?
I can’t find anything named Favorites in my 2.1 installation or in the docs.

There is the ability to make Bookmarks, by any chance that is meant with this post?

Hi,
favorites are part of the Commands menu:

Karl

2 Likes

Never noticed that there before, so will probably not going to miss it. (-:

2 Likes

I have never used this feature.

Haha I remember as Mathias build this feature. He just discovered Spotify where you had such a feature for Songs. So he build it into Checkmk :blush:

4 Likes

I love this fact! :smile:

Although I always wondered, how the concept of a “favorite host” works.
I mean, they are servers, switches, firewalls, how can you become emotionally attached to them? :face_with_monocle:

I need more popcorn!

Hi Team,

will there be something alternative to this ??? e.g. that you can make a link list in dashboard form

We as admins use it very little to not at all why also the list would become infinitely long and we know our structure …

However, the non-IT users use it very often and I put the teams also always prefabricated favorites lists in the profile.

Greetings Bernd

I recommend using filters and bookmarks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.