Difference between Process Discovery and State and count of processes

Hi there,

1. what is the difference between those two sections? I can setup almost identical things in both sections.

Only difference I see is that State and count of processes have Checktype. But both sections produces same check output. I guess Process discovery uses automatically “ps” on linux.

1. which section to prefer? Pure linux environment.

2. next confusion is another “State and count of processes” section in “Setup → Services → Service monitoring rules” which has same parameters to configure except process specification.

Other “State and count of processes” section is in "Setup → Services → Enforced services"

I try to describe the difference between all three.

Process Discovery - rule to find automatically processes on monitored hosts. You can already here define default parameters that should be applied to the found processes.

Service monitoring rules → State and count of processes - only applies parameters to already found process checks. The matching condition here is a name of a discovered process. This discovery is done with discovery rule.

Enforced services → State and count of processes - you define process checks on hosts without discovery. This is useful if you expect a process to run on a system and don’t want to rely on the discovery feature.

If you change the Thresholds in the Discoverd/Enforced Rule they will be applied the next time you refresh (remove+readd) the related Services.

If you change the Thresholds in the “State and count of processes” Rule they will be applied the next time you activate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.