Different version for Master & Slave

Hello Team,

Is it possible to have different version for Master & Slave ?

For example :
Master - 2.2.0p14
Slave1 - 2.2.0p14
Slave2 - 2.2.0p26
Slave3 - 2.3.0

Please let me know your views.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
DD

That works

regards

Mike

1 Like

If you’re not using the option to push configuration to slaves it might work.
But if you’re using the distributed monitoring with push of configuration you’ll most likely run in to trouble at some point. Since there will be incompatible configurations.
I would advice you to use the same version everywhere.

Also read this: Update to version 2.3.0

And this: Updates and Upgrades

1 Like

Thanks @mike1098 @erik for Replying.

That’s the plan to have same version on Master as well as all Slaves. But it can not be done overnight, that’s why thinking to have multi-version setup for some days and update version on slave one by one.

Its not fully true. You can run always on remote sites a checkmk one major version ahead. This is fully supported. On the remote site during activate new configuration the script cmk-update-config is taking care that the ‘old’ configuration is translated to the new core.
The only problem is that you are not able to configure checks introduced in the new version on master site because they are not known in the older version. Also visualization on master site could be wrong for new checks because of missing files. Probably you disable the services unless you are on same version with master site.
We run 300 remote sites with one master. Not possible to do the update in one shot. We update region by region the remote sites also to limit the risk to introduce issues with the new version even that we test a lot before we update.
Currently we have master on 2.0.0p37 and around 20 remote sites on 2.1.0p42.

I hope that helps

2 Likes

Thanks @mike1098 for explanation, It will surely help me in updating the total setup.