Discuss the Checkmk 2021 Conference agenda

Hi Martin,

there are two topics that are important to me - one word of advice, i’m no hard core coder but more of the “management” representative. I can code but i enjoy working with a gui a bit more.

1. Check Development - IDE or best practices
    There is one thing about check development that usually gives me the creeps - it’s the fact that i do have to jump from command line, to gui, to debugging all the time. This is made even more complicated by the fact that in an enterprise environment, access to the servers or appliances is not always easy.
    If you want to help us “non-hard-core-coder” types of users it would be awesome if you could showcase how a user could code and verify checks and plugins with a python IDE like for example PyCharm. I’d love to have an “out of the box” environment that actually helps me to invent cool plugins up to a point where i deploy them to an actual CheckMK machine.
    Right now, i’m unable to build such a thing myself as I’m not a “hard-core-developer”. My process is currently a constant trial and error on the command line which is… kind of… i don’t know… uncool :wink:

2. How to best reach my goals sessions.
    CheckMK is very flexible, it contains a ton of useful things. Some things however are still not possible in the GUI. There are ways to do that, but they require very in-depth knowledge of the inner workings of check-mk and i suppose, some cool things, customers did will crash with 2.0.
    Example: If my scenrario is as follows - how can i best reach my goal:
    Target: I have 25000 SNMP devices with 20 Interface Services each. My users now ask: Hey - please show me a dashboard of only those interfaces with errors on them AND, just show me the error metrics grpahically.
    You know there are ways to do this but maybe the ways you know are better than the ones i come up with. It would be awesome if you could showcase “new” approaches to scenarios like these. (Classic admins would script mk file creations to get a lot of custom graphs but not every new user will be able to to this from scratch…)
    This is important for both admins and operators alike but maybe most important for people like me who sit in between the customers, operators and admins :wink:

Oh - and a third hint:
Try to add extra paid tech sessions on a third and fourth day if your overseas customers want it. No admin from the us likes to stand up during night-times…

1 Like