Docker monitoring doesn't works as expected

Hi,
i need your support, because i struggle to apply the docker moniroring.

RHEL 9.1 and 9.2
Check_MK 2.1.0p28

[root@RHEL91 check_mk]# podman version
Client: Podman Engine
Version: 4.4.1
API Version: 4.4.1
Go Version: go1.19.6

[root@RHEL91 check_mk]# python3
Python 3.9.16 (main, Dec 8 2022, 00:00:00)
[GCC 11.3.1 20221121 (Red Hat 11.3.1-4)] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

I setup a docker monitoring using the following sources:
Episode 33: Monitoring Docker containers with Checkmk - YouTube
Monitoring Docker

The docker plugins are existing on the docker host.
/usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins/mk_docker.py
/usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins/mk_docker_2.py

neverthless i get the WARN messages:
Docker containers: Containers: count not present in agent outputUNKN, Running: count not present in agent outputUNKN, Paused: count not present in agent outputUNKN, Stopped: count not present in agent output

Docker node info: Plugin exception in MKDockerClient.init: Error while fetching server API version: (‘Connection aborted.’, FileNotFoundError(2, ‘No such file or directory’)

i can subpress this by modifying the /etc/check_mk/docker.cfg => add “docker_container_agent” to skip_sections.

The tmp/check_mk/piggyback folder on my site server is empty.
root@rhel87checkmk:/opt/omd/sites/monitoring/tmp/check_mk/piggyback $> ls -l
total 0

the cmk --debug -vvn RHEL91 | more shows:
Docker containers Containers: count not present in agent output(?), Running: count not present in agent output(?), Paused: count not present in agent output(?), Stopp
ed: count not present in agent output(?)
Docker node info Plugin exception in MKDockerClient.init: Error while fetching server API version: (‘Connection aborted.’, FileNotFoundError(2, 'No such file or
directory’))
No piggyback files for ‘RHEL91’. Skip processing.

A docker container on the agent side is running.
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAME
7c294c5aefd8 Docker apache2-foregroun… 2 months ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:8181->80/tcp
nextcloud

It seems to be the same “issue” as mentioned in Mk_docker.py not discovering anything?(continue) - #10 by alexmoo, but i can’t find the mistake on my system.

What could i still check to get docker monitoring running?
many thanks in advance

Podman != Docker
Podman support is coming in Checkmk 2.3

If you can’t wait for Checkmk 2.3, then you can also apply the change yourself:

many thanks Martin,
i will try the mk_docker.py with podman support.

Hello Martin,
i used the modified mk_docker.py but it doesn`t works at the moment. I need more investigation on my side to find the root cause.
rgs Bob

We decided to revert the merge of th pull request due to issues with the implementation leading to crashes of plug-ins of the monitored containers.
You can use the pull request to at least get some Podman node monitoring. But for a Podman container monitoring, it will need much more investment from our time, which we couldn’t do for 2.3

See more in: https://ideas.checkmk.com/suggestions/304622/podman-container-plugin-checks