Error reading json data from central bakery: Checkmk version mismatch

**CMK version: ** 2.2.0p3, Edition: CME (all sites run this version)
OS version: Latest Virtual Appliance

Error message: Error reading json data from central bakery: Checkmk version mismatch?

Goodmorning all,

I hope somebody can point me in the right direction. I’m trying to setup automatic agent updates for an MSP site with several remote customer sites in a distributed central configuration.

I’ve followed this documentation: Automatic agent updates - Distribute agents and plug-ins automatically (checkmk.com)

and also

Distributed Agent Bakery - Checkmk Knowledge Base - Checkmk Knowledge Base

In step 1.2 i’ve set the DNS name for the local checkmk site and ofcourse the site name (case sensitive). I’ve uploaded the certificates.

I’ve followed all the steps and then baked an agent, initially i got an error that i needed to set the “Automatic agent updates” settings in the global config (that’s when i found the second URL to the confluence documentation :wink: ), so I set the Central Site URL to our main MSP site in the global config and setup an automation user with the new builtin ‘‘Agent Registration User’’ role.

I’ve set the ‘‘URL from host to remote site’’ in the specific customers global config to their own checkmk instance.

When i try to run the “check_mk_agent.exe updater register” command (with either all parameters or manually answering the questions) it always errors out at:

2023-07-10 09:45:23,459 [5656] DEBUG: Starting Registration Mode.
2023-07-10 09:45:23,460 [5656] INFO: Going to register agent at deployment server
2023-07-10 09:45:23,463 [5656] DEBUG: Authenticating at Checkmk Server (using requests): https://checkmk.customer.nl/CUSTOMER_PRD/check_mk/login.py
2023-07-10 09:45:23,893 [5656] DEBUG: Fetching content (using requests): https://checkmk.customer.nl/CUSTOMER_PRD/check_mk/register_agent.py
2023-07-10 09:45:24,041 [5656] DEBUG: Response from agent bakery:
{'result_code': 1, 'result': 'Error reading json data from central bakery: Checkmk version mismatch?', 'severity': 'error'}
2023-07-10 09:45:24,044 [5656] DEBUG: Caught Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\cmk_update_agent.checkmk.py", line 2342, in main
    requested_mode.run()
  File "C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\cmk_update_agent.checkmk.py", line 1159, in run
    self._run_mode()
  File "C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\cmk_update_agent.checkmk.py", line 1328, in _run_mode
    self._config.host_secret = self._register_agent()
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\cmk_update_agent.checkmk.py", line 1452, in _register_agent
    result = self._http.fetch_data_from_server(
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\cmk_update_agent.checkmk.py", line 496, in fetch_data_from_server
    return self._do_request(base_url, site_rel_url, post_args, auth)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\cmk_update_agent.checkmk.py", line 533, in _do_request
    self._check_for_response_error(response)
  File "C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\cmk_update_agent.checkmk.py", line 580, in _check_for_response_error
    raise Exception("Agent Bakery: %s" % response.json()["result"])
Exception: Agent Bakery: Error reading json data from central bakery: Checkmk version mismatch?
2023-07-10 09:45:24,046 [5656] ERROR: Agent Bakery: Error reading json data from central bakery: Checkmk version mismatch?

I dont really know what else i can check to see where this goes wrong as this is all the info the “cmk-update-agent.log” file gives me at this point.

Ah, i’ve found the answer! Apparantly what i misunderstood at point 1.2 that I should have inputted the URL to the main central site and not the local customers site. After changing this it started working and the agents are now updating correctly.

1 Like