ESXi - do not monitor all servers

Hi,

I have a customer who monitors a bunch of ESXi servers and on most of these servers have between 5 and 20 hosts, which trigger WARN messages, because they are not running.

This works as expected, but in the majority of cases, this should not display a WARN, because they are test machines and are shut down deliberately. Unfortunately there’s no regex which could catch them all, so I just selected all machines, which are down, and removed them from the services.

The customer asks now, if he could simply put a specific file on this machines (e.g. /opt/monitor_me), which will then automatically let them appear in CMK or disappear in case the file’s not there. Now as I think about it, I guess the other way around is better. :wink: However, I’m quite sure that this is not possible - at least not out-of-the-box.

So, I’m thinking of an easy alternative way to make this more transparent. For the customer CMK is completely new and I had to create manuals with screenshots for the most simple tasks you can think of.

One way could be a view of all ESXi hosts, which does not show the monitored hosts, but the ones which are currently deactivated. Is such a view doable? And if yes, would it be possible to add a link for each host, adding it to the monitored ones with a click (maybe even activate changes as well)?

Thanks for reading,
Roland.

I just had another idea:

I can’t get them with a host name regex, but maybe there is some kind of description attribute in VMWare I could add for each unwanted host and apply a regex there?

Hi,

if you are referring to the warning created by the rule “ESX Host and virtual machine state”, you could rename the vm name in the vcenter and add a prefix that you then match with the vm rule in checkmk, like # or _

Yesterday we saw a talk at the conference by @PhilippL who has a tool that transforms VMware tags into Checkmk labels.

2 Likes

Hi,
as Robert mention you can use LabelPicker to provide Vmware Tags as Host Labels.
Have a look at Vmware vSphere :: LabelPicker.
Quickstart guide is also available there.

2 Likes

Thanks!
This is the way

1 Like