Setup
Search “forward”
Click “Logwatch Event Console Forwarding”
Click “Add rule”
(I even clicked the date thing)
Pull-down “Forward Messages to Event Console”
Save

Setup
search my Windows computer (with the cmkagent installed)
Click “Host”
Click “Run service discovery”

Unlike in the video my “CRIT” “Log Security” ‘big blob of every error event log ever text’ still appears under “Monitored Services” (not under “Vanished Services”, which did not appear). There are no new “Undecided Services” either (and no “Log Forwarding”).

Does this bit not apply to the raw version of checkmk or did I miss something along the way.

Thanks a lot.

2.2.0p1 (raw)
Ubuntu 22.04.2 lts

Hi Ron,

did you activate the changes after you set the log forwarding rule ?

And please update to the latest patch release if you are really using 2.2p1…

Following the suggestion to upgrade, I did to p24. This had no effect (except that that’s done now so that’s good too.)

The issue turns out to be a difference between what the narrator says, and what I see.

At the 2:32 mark he says “I only need to say ‘Forward Messages to the Event Console’ the defaults are fine”, but sees this:

When I pull-down to “Forward Messages to the Events Console”, I do not see the next two items by default:

I have to check the first two boxes to see them:

Which seems to make the difference.

If someone down the line finds themself reading this because they’ve searched for the same issue, once you have this done (and he says that you need rules but “that’s done in a different video”, beginning at the 3:40 mark) this is the video you need next:

RJD