Flappy connection to a host (Linux Debian 11), possibility to monitor services of the host but not generate an alarm when host goes down

CMK version: Checkmk Free Edition 2.1.0p11
OS version: openSUSE Leap 15.3

Hi guys,

My setup:
I am currently using CheckMK to monitor my homelab environment and tried connecting some devices that run on a VPS via a VPN solution. This seems to work, the host is connected and I am recieving services and infos.

The problem:
The connection to the VPS is quite unstable (talking one of every 5 connects goes through), so the host is flapping.
Everytime the host goes “down”, I get an alarm (as the host is not reachable, this seems normal).

What I tried:
I configured a downtime for this host but this means that alls services are in downtime as well, which is not what my ideal solution looks like.

My question:
Is it possible to disable this “Host goes down” check for specific hosts and still recieve service notifications for this host.

Any help is appreciated, have a nice day.

Best regards,
Exzellius

Create a host that acts as a parent host for this system. Make the host status the status of the VPN connection.

This way your VPS host is unreachable in the event the VPN does not work and checkmk will not generate a notification.

You could also just disable host notifications for this system.

How would I do that?
Your other possibility sounds quite a lot more complicated and I am also not really interested in monitoring the VPN connection, as it is not critical.

There is a ruleset “Enable/disable notifications for hosts” for that.

That seems to work, thank you very much and have a nice day. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.