Getting started: tuning notifications in CheckMK Raw Edition

Getting started: tuning notifications

Hello, beginner CheckMK user here. I tuned down the deluge of service notifications on my site by going to Setup - Services - Service monitoring rules - Notified events for services, unchecked Service goes into warning state, Service goes into unknown state, Service goes into critical state, Service recovers to OK. That worked! Now I want to enable notifications for specific critical services on my Windows servers. I set a Windows service discovery rule for the services and confirmed that they are being monitored on the appropriate hosts.

I created a new rule in Notified events for services, checked all events, and set the service names under Services. No notifications. I have tried the rules in either order, no difference. I confirmed that the service I’m using as a test is showing as CRIT on the host in CheckMK. If I disable my earlier rule I return to the deluge of notifications about every single service again.

I hope that I’m just missing something simple about how rules work. Thanks in advance for help or guidance.

I have no rules set up in: Setup > Services > Service monitoring rules > Notified events for services.

Instead I’m using the rules in: Setup > Events > Notification configuration.

I have an environment with mostly monitored endpoints.

• First rule disables all notifications of clients outside office hours.
    Easiest way to set outside office timeperiod, is to make a timeperiod with 24/7 and then exclude a previous made timeperiod with office hours
  • Second rule is both host as service notifications of important servers & devices to main mail address for monitoring.
  • Third rule is failover sending to bulk archive mail box for further future tuning of notifications. (-;

The service name in the rule condition of the ruleset “Notified events for services” refers to the Checkmk service, not the Windows service.

You have to enter “Service TSM”, “Service nv5” and “Service mathlm” to match the Checkmk services for these Windows services.

1 Like

Oh that’s an interesting approach! I will keep it in mind as I develop my environment. Thank you.

2 Likes

I would not use this rule set.
Use Setup > Notifications instead.

That being said, notifications are one of the most complex and complicated topics in monitoring, which means there are no shortcuts and no silver bullets. Take your time to set up notifications and test them, before going to production.

Further reading: Notifications - via Email, SMS, ticket system and more

I think you replied to the wrong post, since I use Setup > Notifications, which redirects to Setup > Events > Notification configuration (-;

Oh no, it was the right one, but I was not speaking to you, as you are on track. I was merely uttering the general advice. :slight_smile: