HDD temperatures from SMART are always critical with the appliances Dell PowerEdge

Hi All,
We recently deployed a couple of clustered Checkmk appliances with Dell PowerEdge R340, and observed that all of appliances were getting the same critical alerts for Temperature SMART MTFDDAV240TDU which higher than the default value of 40 degree.
We are actually able to adjust the critical level, however we would have it cleared that is this situation normal? The appliances had three HDDs monitored over SMART but only that specific HDD got high temperature.
Did someone experience the same issue?
Thank you.

The defaults for SMART temperature are quite conservative and consider hard disks with moving parts. See this for some more insight. SSD usually run higher temperatures without problems.

Pleas see the datasheet, Micron specifies these drives for up to 70 degree: https://www.mouser.de/datasheet/2/671/Micron_08032020_5300-1889041.pdf

1 Like

Thanks @mschlenker for information and provided documentations.

I am just confused, the appliances are being providing by Checkmk and every devices get the same high temperature issue with that drive, while the default value of critical is not sufficient. I am not sure if somebody else experienced the same.

Hi @vu.nguyen,

the default values apply to all related type of temperature checks. Hence, there is no one fits all approach. This also affects our appliance. I get your point, but please consider, this:

• we have multiple generations and different types of appliances
    and even more important:
  • the customer is free to place it in different environments, e.g. climatized versus not climatized.

Example:
One might not want to set it to the maximum allowed values, but stricter thresholds, because under normal, climatized conditions it runs never above 50°C. And one wants to detect a malfunction earlier, so you are free to set it e.g. to 55°C/WARN.
So we leave it to the user to set it to the desired level.
Makes sense?

2 Likes

Hi @gulaschcowboy,
Thanks a lot. It made sense to me. I will manage to adjust the values accordingly.
Cheers.