Help with the use of contacts in Notifications

Hi,
I tried to create a notification to warn the users in my network when they have 90% or more used disk space.
I made a test with a single user and it works, my question is: is it possible to make every user receive a warn email when their own PC have the service Filesystem C:/ in WARN status? I imported all the users from our Active Directory and I wish to know if there’s a way for example to assign every user to a host and make the notification for every user without the need of creating a new rule in “Notifications” for every single one of them!
Hope I was clear enough,

thank you in advance!

Hi Alessio,

users can´t be assigned directly to services, so you need to create a contact group for every user and assign the users to their “own” contact group.
After that you assign the contact groups to the corresponding hosts.

Then you only need one notification rule with the option “notify contacts of the notified host or service”.
The rule can be further stripped down to only notify if the service contains e.g. Filesystem.

Depending on the amount of users we are talking about, i would create and assign the contact groups with the rest api.

The contact group concept is described here:

Hi,

thank you for the quick answer!
So, in case every host is used by a single user (who has his own email address) and I want to notify a single email address assigned to the user the only way is to create a notification for each contact group right? even if there’s only a single user assigned to that group

yes :slight_smile:

Another way could be to create a notication rule for every host and add the user or the e-Mail address there, but how many notification rules do you want to manage ?
And with that way, users are not able to see their hosts in checkmk, if that is a requierement.

Ok! Thank you a lot for the answers, I guess I’ll go with creating a contact group with the name of the user and just assign it to the host the person works with, it’s a bit long but it’s better than managing a single notification per host!

1 Like