How can we quickly see resolved IP Addresses of Hosts?

I want to include the host’s resolved IPv4 address in the host list. All I’m able to see is the value that was entered in the “IP Address” field. We’re using hostnames, so the IP Address column will only show the hostname.

That’s not good enough for us because the environment we are monitoring has experienced DNS changes at times and then we have to go to separate tooling to find out the IP Addresses. Our customer knows IP addresses at a glance, but our NOC team doesn’t. It would be great if our NOC team was able to take a screenshot or export a CSV of hosts from Checkmk and show to the customer and glance at the hostnames-ip-address pairings and tell us quickly if there’s a problem there.

We can’t be the only people who want to be able to see resolved ip addresses in views in addition to the hostname. Is there a way to do this?

You can use the ping-able host name (backupserver) as the Checkmk internal hostname (backupserver) and leave the field “IP Address” empty - then you get the IP address as its value.

Just clone the desired view (Display/Clone the built-in view) and add the column “Hosts: Host address (IPv4)”.

Hope that’s what you meant.

Here’s a screenshot:

1 Like

The DNS check may solve your request.
Ralf

Have you configured the hostname in the IP address field of the host properties?
Just leave it blank if the host’s name is resolvable via DNS.

Otherwise each time the IP of the host is needed (e.g. for the agent request) a DNS request has to be done first.

Ok apparently I misconfigured things then. I put the hostname in the IP Address field for all hosts. :frowning: I didn’t know that leaving it blank would change the behavior. Thank you!

1 Like