How do I monitor certain types of network interfaces only?

I am monitoring several servers with Checkmk and although not new to monitoring tools, I am a newbie with cmk (I installed it 2 days ago).
I have read most of the manual, which is outstanding, and watched the great courses on Youtube by Baris.

However, I am stuck on this: how do I NOT monitor certain kinds of Ethernet interfaces?
Here is the rationale:

• The severs host several docker stacks
  • each of the stack has a bridge interface (denoted as br) and/or a virtual interface (denoted as veth)
  • as stacks are up or stopped, their interfaces are often down, and cmk detects them and reports them.
  • This is normal behavior BUT it is quite annoying because it takes a large amount of space in the dashboard:

So, how do I get rid of those interfaces in the dashboard?

I think you don’t want to see these virtual interfaces or?
There are some different options for your problem.

To easily achieve your goal i would recommend the following two steps.

• Search for the rule “Network interface and switch port discovery” there you can define that for this or some hosts the interfaces should be found not with the index number but with the interface description
  • Now you should see all interfaces with the description as interface name - here you now can disable the monitoring of all interfaces starting with “veth” or “br”.
    After you disabled one interface manually, you can modify the rule on the bottom of the page to include all other interfaces with the same starting name.

That was one way to achieve the wanted result.

A second options is nearly the same, you need again the same rule as before.
But now we define also a matching criteria for the interface we want to monitor.
Here as an example a screenshot from my Proxmox server and the interface discovery rule.

I hope this helps with your problem.

Thx @andreas-doehler this is exactly what I was looking for!

Hi @andreas-doehler , actually, I am still confused and need your help.
So:

1. I have found the Network Interface and switch port discovery rule
  2. I have created the rule you described within

But now what shall I do? In the main dashboard, I still see the interfaces I want hidden

Thanks for your help!

If you go to the service discovery for this host, you should see some services shown as vanished.
After you said “remove vanished services” and activated the change then these interface should also be gone from the monitoring.

The complete service handling is described here

Thank you @andreas-doehler , will test the whole process tomorrow.

Hello!

I kinda have the same issue, for me its with bridge interfaces though which dynamically come with docker and I dont want / need to monitor those. So I created a rule, when going into the host and select effective parameters that rules gets applied. Still in discovery the bridge interfaces show up.

I tried to change the regex to eth.* as well but same story. What is wrong here?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.