How much information des checkmk receives per day?

Hi All,

I need your help, my company will create a checkmk server so we can install the last version. They are saying me that maybe the server will be created in AZURE, but they want to know How much information does checkmk receives per day? Azure ask you to pay for the information that checkmk server receives so they want to know an estimated of the amount of information checkmk it is receiving.

I have 12727 services

To estimate the amount of data that a checkmk server recevies you can have a look at the directory ~/tmp/check_mk/cache of the checkmk site. Everytime the checkmk server queries a host for data (so usually every minute) it puts a copy of that data in that directory.

As the site user issue

du -hs  ~/tmp/check_mk/cache

to get a rough idea of what data is transferred to the server every minute. Multiply by 1440 to get the amount per day.

(As an example: on one of our sites with ~20,000 services it’s approximately 40 MB per minute which translates to ~60 GB per day, but we have many custom services with lots of data.)

To get more exact data you can examine the file /proc/net/dev. Pick the value in the columns receive bytes and transmit bytes from the row that corresponds to your network interface. This is the number of bytes that flew through the network interface since the machine was booted.

Now check the uptime and divide one by the other to get the amount of data per day.

6 Likes