How to adjust NTP TIME global service thresholds?

Hi all

we have a few hundred *nix hosts with Check_MK agent. once service that is constantly flagging in warning state is NTP TIME. example like this:
WARN - Stratum: 3, Offset: 0.2413 ms, Time since last sync: 5 m (warn/crit at 5 m/60 m)WARN, Reference ID: 68C208E3 (104.194.8.227)

how do I got about changing the threshold globally to reduce this noise? it doesn’t seem to be helpful, I’d rather it alert at different value.

Here you can read about checkmk’s rule-based configuration: Host and service parameters - Understanding and using rules in Checkmk

1. Under WATO in the sidebar, click Host & Service Parameters
  2. Search for a relevant keywork - in this case, NTP
  3. Click the most relevant rule name, “State of NTP time synchronisation”
  4. Create rule in folder: main directory
  5. Check “Phases without synchronization” and put in suitable numbers (chrony’s default maxpoll period is 17 minutes, for reference, so maybe warn at 20?)
  6. Save and apply changes

Alternatively:

1. Click the three-line/burger menu icon n the server, click Parameters
  2. Under “check origin and parameters” you’ll find the name of the relevant rule, “State of NTP time synchronisation”. Click it.
  3. as above from step 4

This is the same general workflow for adjusting the parameters for just about anything.

thank you this was exactly what I needed!

There is no WATO. I have Setup.
Under which there is no “Host & Service Parameters”.
There are Hosts and there are Services (and some other parameters).
The error i have is different also:
Time since last sync: 2 hours 5 minutes (warn/crit at 2 hours 5 minutes/3 hours 0 minutes)WARN
I don’t need to synchronize my home server every hour. 1 time per day is OK. How to change this default?

I think what you’re describing is the Checkmk 2, I was on 1.6 at time of writing that comment.

You should be able to search in Setup for a similar rule (probably exactly the same name actually). I believe my alternative method will also work as described on Checkmk 2.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.