How to configure SMS Notifications

Hello,

I want to configure SMS Notifications to 5 phone numbers but I don’t know why this works

I tried it like that, but of couse it didn’t work (too easy and good to work that way).

The Documentation about that doesn’t help either, can someone give me a brief explanation on what is needed?

You need to install smstool on OS level and attach a modem with valid sim card to smstools.
See SMS Server Tools 3 how to configure smstools.

good luck

Michael

Also you don’t need to set phone number in notifications section, you can create contact group and put users in it. You set phone number in user properties as pager number.

Does CheckMK only supports smstools?

Out of the box there is only a notification plugin for smstools but you could use this as a template and write your own code to integrate whatever you want.
SMSTOOLS is for my experience the most used software on Linux to send SMS. I even found that on Modems from big supplier like Gemalto. There need to be a good reason to use something else.

BR

Michael

1 Like

I were thinking in using a cloud service solution for this.
I saw there it is a smstools for cloud https://www.smstools.com/

Yes, I know such service and you need to develop your own notification script based on the suppliers API.
Some providers may also provide mail to SMS service which would work out if box.
It depends on the criticality of your notifications. We have chosen SMS to be independent from any Network connection. E.g. in case your core switch crashes you will not be notified if you have chosen a provider in the internet to send the notification. This is only possible with a local connected modem.

BR

MF

1 Like

… or with a distributed setup where a second (external/dmz/…) independent monitoring site will notice and alert that the site “behind” the core switch is unreachable. By default, the sites in a distributed setup are self-sufficient with regard to notifications – each sends its own.

@martin.schwarz It was just one example. It highly depends on the scenario and the accepted level of risk.

BR

MF

1 Like

You might want to check out SIGNL4 for mobile alerting that supports push, SMS, voice calls, escalations, etc.
If is available in Checkmk by default as well as here:
https://exchange.checkmk.com/p/signl4

Now (as discussed here) it might happen that the Interner connection is down. In this case you can check the connection either via a web-site check or using heartbeats:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.