How to downtime piggyback data?

CMK Enterprise 1.6.0p15
Linux CentOS 7

Hi, I’d like to know if there is a way to put in downtime piggyback data coming from VMWare vCenter server.

Scenario:

• I have about 130 CheckMK hosts that are VM running on vCenter
  • Each host has piggyback data coming from vCenter
  • When I shutdown vCenter for maintenance I put it in downtime mode, but all of 130 hosts goes in WARN because the service Check_MK “loose” piggyback from vCenter server, sending an alarm email to all system administrators, but this is not a real alarm :frowning:

This is the error message on each host:

WARN - [agent] Version: 1.6.0p15, OS: linux, [piggyback] Successfully processed from source ‘veeammgmt01’, Successfully processed from source ‘monitor02vm’, Source ‘vcentersrv02’ not sending piggyback data, Missing agent sections: esx_vsphere_vmWARN , execution time 0.3 sec

So, is it possible to avoid the WARN on Check_MK service when vCenter itself is in downtime?

Thanks,
Roberto

Hello,
did you put VM’s as child of vcenter? If you dont do it and when you set downtime as administrator your Vm’s will be unreaechable but will not notify system administrators.

Best regards,
JF

1 Like

No, I didn’t put VM’s as child of vCenter.
But, if I do this, what happens if for example a filesystem full occours on a VM while the vCenter is in downtime?
Will I still receive email notification or not?

No, you won’t receive ANY notifications from the children.

So, this is not a good solution (for my needs).

Any other suggestion?

In 2.0 there is a rule “Processing of Piggybacked Host Data”, where you can temporarily set “Period for outdated piggybacked host data” to a longer timespan.
Don’t know if also this exists in 1.6.0p15.

1 Like

Very interesting… it exists also in 1.6, then I’ve just configured it and I hope it will work… many thanks!

Mario, I confirm that it works really fine!

This is the final solution for one of my big issue, thank you very much :wink:

Hi @art

Can you please mark the answer by @msommer as the solution if it solved your problem?

That way, others can find it more easily.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.