How to ignore F5 virtual Servers in Unknown state

I think the title says it all really. I am happy creating rules to disable services based on the service name and host name etc but I can’t see how to create a rule so that F5 Virtual Servers that are in an unknown state are not flagged up as Warnings.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question but I have searched and the only place I can find where the state is slectable is on the enable notifications, but I just want to say that for a given service name regex match, the state “Unknown” is OK.

Do you know the rule Service state translation? I think it does exactly what you are looking for.

Hi, that looks perfect but it hasn’t had any effect - the services are still showing as Unknown and in warning state.

The rule looks fine

In fact, in the details of one of the services (in warning state) It even says that the state is remapped:

Hi David,

the service state of your services is warn and not unknown.
You need to use the mapping warn → ok.
But i would make sure that you are only remapping that for explicit virtual servers and not for all, as you did in your rule. Otherwise you might miss other problems.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation but then that means this isn’t going to do what I was looking for. I don’t want to ignore warnings, I was trying to make it so that when the Virtual Server service check returns the “Unknown” state, that is not treated as a warning error, but as OK. You are right, I don’t want to be ignoring genuine warning states.

If you can’t solve this using the map state options available in the “F5 Loadbalancer VServer” rule, the only solution would be to copy the check into the local path and modify the script, so it does not trigger warning in the given case anymore. But than you will have to check for changes with any CheckMK Update and update the script in local accordingly.

1 Like

Thanks, I really don’t want to be doing that as you say it is high maintenance and checkmk is just a tool I am a user of, I don’t manage the server so I only have limited access and I don’t want to be writing my own checks. If I can’t do this, I will just have to manually disable these checks.

Thanks for the suggestions though.