How to increase SNMP timeout - currently stopping after approx 7 seconds

Hi.

I’ve tried searching answers in this forum but I haven’t found anything to help me.

How do I increase the SNMP check timeout? An snmpwalk of the monitored device takes about 20 seconds to complete. CheckMK shows me errors like these:

“[agent] Communication failed: timed outCRIT , [snmp] Success, execution time 8.0 sec”

“no unmonitored services found, no vanished services found, no new host labels, [agent] Communication failed: timed outCRIT

“[agent] Communication failed: timed outCRIT , [snmp] Success, execution time 6.7 sec”

I can’t find where to change the timeouts. I would like to change it to 30 seconds with checks (just for this device) to 5 minutes. All other devices/hosts can remain as they are.

I’m using version 2.1.0p6.cre in case that’s important.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

This shows a failed agent communication, while snmp is successful.

Your snmp devices (switch, router, …) probably have no agent installed, so you need to configure them in checkmk for “no agent”

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks. I was thinking because the top checkbox wasn’t checked, it wasn’t going to attempt to talk to an agent.

All working now :slight_smile:

1 Like

You found the solution, but in case you want to change the SNMP timeouts anyway, this is the right rule for that:

With the default settings checkmk tries six times in total (one attempt and then 5 retries) with a timeout of one second each to gain the data. Overall, this takes approximately 6 seconds. Some devices work better with different settings, e.g. 3 times @ 4 seconds or whatever. It’s a bit of trial and error.

Oh wow, thank you! That could be very useful.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

In adddition, here’s a blog article on SNMP debugging:

1 Like

Thanks.

SNMP is a bit of a black box for me. It feels like they should drop the “S” from the name :wink:

Cheers,
Kingsley.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.