How to install CMK agent in a VDI environment where servers are based off a master image?

I have a scenario where I want to install the CMK agent on a few servers that are part of our Citrix XenApp (VDI) environment.

There are 4 servers that are based off a “master image”. Every time we do our windows updates, we push these changes to the 4 servers from master image and any custom settings on those 4 servers gets discarded.

Now I would typically just install the CMK agent and register the server using “./cmk-update-agent.exe register -s nagios.xxxx.com -i nagios -H XXX-MYSRV1 -p https -U cmkadmin -P XXXXX -v

However this won’t work in this situation, when the master image changes are pushed to these servers, we will essentially have 4 instances of the CMK agent using the master image hostname.

Is there a solution to this? Running CMK 1.6p8 EE.

Hi,

you could

a) install the checkmk agent without the agent updater plugin in the master image and update it manually in the master when a new version comes out or a new package is baked for these servers

b) don´t register the master server itself but automate re-registering the agent in the four citrix servers after roll out e.g. with a local powershell/batch script or through config management

2 Likes

IMO a) is the easier way. We do it like this with around 100 servers

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.