HPE Integrated Lights-Out (ILO) 5 3.0 breaks storage monitoring on SNMP Management Board

Latest update from HPE Engineering…

This is as per the design; we have added the details to the status to the log drive but from REST service the details has to be update .
Update of this issue is not a bug, this is an enhancement due to RDE support the REST service has no data to pull the cpqDaLogDrvStatus .
ilo5 RDE support changes went in firmware version 3.0. As per changes value string “OTHER” is expected output which is default value. which is similar to ilO6.This is an enhancement due to RDE support the REST service has no data to pull the cpqDaLogDrvStatus .this would be treated as a Product enhancement if needed to work like earlier firmware. So please engage ASM Channel for customer to Raise a Product enhancement to if they wish to get this addressed further.
Let me know if you require further clarification.

Unhelpful…

2 Likes

This is really only bullshit. The best part is that some iLO5 are unresponsive after the “upgrade” and usage of the REST API :rofl:

1 Like

At least you understood the answer…

1 Like

So it was not just me who had trouble interpreting the response ?

1 Like

How can they call this an enhancement? With previous array controllers, there were never issues monitoring the status through SNMP. Now they put the status of OK storage devices to “Other” and call this behavior expected? What a joke… The enhancement “concept” is clearly flawed and they should acknowledge the issue and correct it.
Imagine someone asking you if your are OK and you answer “Other”. :slight_smile:
Being unable to monitor the condition of your servers logical & physical devices is mind blowing.

1 Like

HPE yesterday released a new iLO5 3.0.2, which fixes HW Phydrv and Logical Device for our servers

Software Details - Online ROM Flash Firmware Package - HPE Integrated Lights-Out 5 | HPE Support

3 Likes

Hallelujah!!! Fantastic news!

Have you tried this? I installed Ilo5 firmware release 3.02 on a HPE DL380 Gen10 plus with MR416
array controller and now:

• Storage tab in System Information in ILO website stays in “Loading, please wait…” forever
  • SNMP check for the drives are now indeed put to OK and visible in CheckMK, but the controller itself stays in status ‘Other’.

Does HPE actually debug & test their own software releases?

That was true for my servers, too. I cleared the browser cache and after that it worked. Don’t know if it was the browser cache or only the waiting time after the ilo reset…

Thanks for the information. And the controller status in CheckMK? Does it stay in orange color too?

Yes. That is still not fixed.:

1 Like

If i have time, i will check this today with some systems monitored over Redfish API.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming this.

I’ve given this feedback to HPE…

Hopefully 3.03 will correct these further issues…

1 Like

Seems like a month later, they still have not fixed the array controller status in a new firmware. 3.02 is the most recent version to this date.

The actual redfish plugin version i created yesterday will now also work with 3.0 and newer iLO5 and shows drives correctly.

1 Like

iLO 5 3.03 was released two days ago. Stillt not fixed:
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=de&collectionId=MTX-2dc80c4ae4b943fa

It seems that this will not be fixed as HPE states in the advisory that this is an “expected behavior” :melting_face:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00137679en_us

We also tried Redfish (PRTG) but it was not reliable (was working a few days, after that a iLO reset was needed to get it to work again).

Why not try the redfish plugin inside cmk?
I tried to avoid the session exhaustion problem with reusing the login session.
It looks like PRTG don’t does it the right way :wink:

SNMP is declared obsolete from all big manufacturers.

So still not fixed by HPE… no surprise.

With latest firmware and Redfish plugin it looks ok.
They changed the complete data structure for storage devices to the format of iLO6 also inside iLO5 now.

1 Like