HW/SW Inventory not working

Hi there

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I’m using CheckMK version 2.0.0p3 and trying to activate HW/SW Inventory.

After setting the HW/SW inventory rules and putting the “mk_inventory.vbs” plugin to the Win10 Client, I constantly get this message on the service configuration:

Starting job…
[cmk.web.automations 14530] ‘check_mk --automation try-inventory @noscan Client1’ returned 'Deprecated configuration variable ‘logwatch_max_filesize’
→ Found 1 deprecated variables
These variables will have no effect at best. Consider removing them.

[cmk.web.automations 14530] ‘check_mk --automation try-inventory @scan Client1’ returned 'Deprecated configuration variable ‘logwatch_max_filesize’
→ Found 1 deprecated variables
These variables will have no effect at best. Consider removing them.

Completed.

On the Client I’m using the agent version 2.0.0p1.

Does someone know the solution to this?

This is an old manual config variable in some “.mk” file inside ~/etc/check_mk/
Can you grep over this folder to search this string.

Hi Andreas

I found the entry “logwatch_max_filesize” in the “main.mk” file. I’m not sure what to do with it, can I remove this entry? Will this have any negative impact?

You can remove this without direct impact. It was used to increase the size of logfile messages saved inside CMK.

It worked, no messages anymore and the software inventory showed.

Thanks Andreas for your help.

Strangly the SW Inventory worked without issues last week, but this week it doesn’t

Today the SW Inventory button disappeared under Host → Inventory → Software Inventory.
At the same time in the “Service Configuration” the “Check_MK HW/SW Inventory” service, is only showing “16 entries found” (before it was around 300 entries).

I don’t get any error messages. I checked couple log files directly on the server, but couldn’t find any hints.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

It can be that the HW/SW inventory plugin is removed or sending no data from your monitored server.
The 16 entries are coming from agent data directly.
On your server you should find a timestamp file of the last run of this plugin and also the plugin by itself.
This server is not monitored by two instances on the same monitoring server? That could be a problem as then the data is sent only to one instance. Two instances from different monitoring servers are no problem as the host see’s from where the query comes and makes a timestamp for every IP.

Hi Andreas

The plugin is still on the Client and wasn’t removed.
Today it’s strangly working again, without any changes. :sweat_smile:

Yes, we have two instances. But the Clients were we activated SW Inventory are only monitored by 1 instance.

Another question, maybe you can help me.
I actived the rule “Export List of Software packages as CSV File” - it works so far, but inside the CSV file it’s only showing “Name, Version, Architecture”. Is it possible to change the csv export, that it showing also “Install Date” and “Path” ?

Thanks for your help

Hi

So I observed this behavior the last week. It seems that its usually working and sudenly stops working for around 4-8 hours and and than comes back normally. Sometimes the button “software packages” disappears right after I clicked on it, and also comes back after couple of hours.

I also wanted to ask, is it possible to edit the existing rule “Export List of Software packages as CSV File” ?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.