Ignore Discovered Couter - esx_vsphere_counters.if: Interface 7

Hi,

Checkmk RAW 1.6.0p21

How do I ignore Check_MK Discovery for unmonitored: esx_vsphere_counters.if: Interface 7? I would like to actually, ignore any Interface (Interface X) if the result contains vusb0 (or even vusbX) from it is:
Interface X [vusb0] (up) MAC: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF, 100 Mbit/s

Thanks, Rod

You can use the interface discovery rule. There you have the option “Match interface alias” or “Match interface description”. For ESX it should be description i think.
With a proper scheme for interface descriptions it should be possible only to get the wanted interfaces with this rule.

Sorry, I want to make sure I understood your suggestion correctly. I would like to ignore the interface ONLY if the output from it contains the word “vusbX” like this:
Output of check plugin OK - [vusb0] (up) MAC: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF, 100 Mbit/s, In: 4 kB/s (0.0%), Out: 0 B/s (0.0%)

Unfortunately, that interface might show up (when discovered) as any Interface (a lot of times as Interface 7, sometimes as Interface 07, or even any number from Interface 1 (or 01) up to lets say 14.

Thanks,

I try to show you with my rules.
In your system there should be a rule “Network Interface and Switch Port Discovery”.
To ignore the “vusb” Interfaces on the ESX you need to make a rule what only discovers the “other” interfaces. In my case the normal ESX ports have all the start of the name “vmnic”.

What is now important is the following. These ESX hosts should not match to another rule in this rule set. If it is so then you “vusb” is found again.
In my case a have an exclude in my generic rule for the ESX host.

If i remove this exclude then all unwanted interfaces are found on the ESX.

Thank you, Andreas. Much clearer now! I think I was able to implement it. Will confirm in the next discoveries, usually the “virtual” USB NICs show up on host reboots.
Regards,

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.