In/Out-Error Message at Accesspoints (SNMP)

Hello,
big praise for this great and helpful monitoring tool!
I use it to monitor a school-network and have a question about errors issued by access points. The APs share their data to check_mk with SNMP.
This type of error always occurs with the similar kind of message:

[ath4], (up), MAC: 7A:8A:20:85:B4:D7, Speed: unknown, In: 571 B/s, Out: 13.9 B/s, Errors out: 71.111% (warn/crit at 0.01%/0.1%)

The number behind the “[ath*]” variis as well as the value behind the errors “out” or “in”. It affects to multiple APs and different interfaces of the APs as well. The error message does not stay long and disappears after a few seconds or few minutes. Unfortunately this affects to different APs on various interfaces. I suspect the fault is negligible.

Which Parameters in the Services do I have to change, so that this type of error no longer occurs.

Thank you for your advice.
Daniel

1 Like

Hi blubbi2k

I am (or rather “was”) facing the same issues.
You may configure the error rates in the ruleset “Network interfaces and switch ports”. You will find it in SetupService monitoring rulesNetworking (checkmk 2.0) or WATOParameters for discovered servicesNetworking (checkmk 1.6 and lower).
Therein you will find the setting Levels for error rates which you may configure at your needs.

Hint: To disable all error checking you may choose percentual levels and set both warning, and critical to 101.00%.

To get this rule to only apply to these ath interfaces you may have to change the way network interfaces are discovered, though. You would probably need to configure checkmk to use the interface alias or interface description, instead of the index. Like this you could simply assign the rule to the port specification ath which will match anything that starts with ath.
To configure what to use as port specification in checkmk, look for a rule called Network interface and switch port discovery and its setting Appearance of network interface.
EDIT: When changing this discovery rule, you will have to refresh services on monitored hosts!

Kind regards :slight_smile:

Thank you…I changed the service discovery of the APs, so that the interfaces are not discovered any more.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.