Inventory Issue on a remote site linux system

**CMK version:cee 2.1.0p35
**OS version:RHEL 7.9

Hi,
I have one remote site linux system, where I do not see the menu entry for showing the inventory data?
Other linux systems have this entry.

I also miss Information on the checkmk dashboard for this remote site:

What can I do to fix this?

thanks, Christian

We also had this very same problem a couple of days ago and it seemed to be some kind of hiccup in the master/slave connection :man_shrugging:
Try

omd restart liveproxyd

on the master. In our case the menu item then reappeared.

Hi,
thank you, this solves our issue.

regards
Christian

1 Like

As of today, we also have this problem in our production environment. Is this perhaps a bug?
Not only are the inventory entries missing for some remote sites, but also for many other systems.

Hi,

as the liveproxy is responsible for getting the HW/SW-Inventory data from the remote sites to the central one, please check for “InventoryUpdater” in the logfile ~/var/log/liveproxyd.log.
You have to increase the loglevel to get these messages:

Best regards
Lars

1 Like

Hi @lars.getwan ,
now I have a very strange issue, I wanted to increase the loglevel as you mentioned, but I’m not able to activate these changes. When I click on the activate button, nothing happens:

What is that???

Hi @CFriedrich ,

in your last shot, reg. the activate pending changes, no sites are checked, so no sites will get the pending changes applied. When you activate the two checkboxes, it should work…

BR,
Marsellus W.

HI @MarsellusWallace
In a standalone environment, changing the log level is not a change at all. Is this shown here as a change because it is a distributed environment?
And in this case I have to check all sites where I want to activate the new loglevel? It’s somehow confusing :slight_smile:

@CFriedrich correct, you need to activate changes, because the remotes sites do not know about the change otherwise. And by default all sites eligible for activation should be pre-ticked, so you just need to activate changes.

Hi @robin.gierse
Okay, then that’s the real reason why I was so confused. Normally I just go to the activate changes page and click on activate. I have never explicitly selected or deselected any sites.
With this change, the checkmarks are definitely not set. I don’t know if that’s a bug or if that’s the way it’s supposed to be with this type of change. Thanks again for the explanation.

I would say, they should be all selected, maybe you accidentally deselected them all without noticing. Anyway, I am glad I could provide some insight. :slight_smile:

@robin.gierse
It is always nothing selected. So no accident :slight_smile:
But only when changing loglevel. In every other case the checkboxes are correctly selected.

I can imagine that checkmk want to protect the customer from themselves. So that you don’t accidentally activate a high log level on the wrong sites. So this is okay for me. Thank you

You’re not alone, @CFriedrich. I experience exactly the same behavior: When changing the liveproxy loglevel and going to the activate changes site, no sites are selected. Haven’t seen this happen, before, either. Usually all affected sites are already selected automatically.

1 Like

Hi,
To bring up the actual topic of this thread again - even after the update to 2.2.0p21 we still have this problem that at random times the inventory of systems at remote sites is no longer available. The only thing that helps is to restart the liveproxy daemon on the master.
Is this obvious bug known to checkmk?

@Sara Maybe you can clarify that? If this is an unknown Bug, I will involve our support partner.

regards
Christian

1 Like

In Checkmk 2.2.0p22, we fixed some known problems in regards to inventory:

Also raising the log_level to Debug for Livestatus Proxy will tell you if your inventory has complete data or not.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.

3 Likes