Is it still possible to integrate Check_MK with Nagios Core?

**CMK version:check-mk-raw-2.2.0p4-el8-38.x86_64
**OS version:RHEL 8

Back in the day I have installed Nagios Core with Nagvis and check_mk. And I only need to edit the configuration of Nagios Core. The Nagvis and Check_mk website will synchronize the changes.
Is it still possible to integrate Check_MK with Nagios Core?

I have already installed Nagios Core and Nagvis, and the system is monitoring some hosts. After I installed check-mk-raw-2.2.0p4 and setup the website, it seems like I have add the hosts separately in Check_MK website.

How can I make Check_MK synchronize with Nagios Core automatically?

Thank you all of you.

1 Like

Nowadays checkmk is its own monitoring system which still uses Nagios as monitoring core in the raw edition.
Why would you want to add checkmk to an existing Nagios installation when the check installation has everything you need for monitoring, including NagVis?

Because we are using a self-developed program to generate nagios config from an excel file with complicated format. Also, there are too many fixed paths specify in the program and it requires a huge workload to modify everything. We need to arrange time to do that. On top of that, the free RAW check_mk version have it’s own limitation on the integrated Nagios service. We temporally want Check_mk to assist Nagios because check_mk have wonderful GUI. I hope there is still a way to make check_mk to retrieve livestatus data from Nagios like old day. Since I cannot find latest guideline for this. I appreciate it if you can assist.

Checkmk can still integrate other sites via livestatus: Distributed monitoring - Scaling and distributing Checkmk

1 Like

When I install Check_MK through omd, it always comes with built-in Nagios and Nagvis while I have already installed one. Can I still use the source file “check-mk-raw-1.x.x.cre.tar.gz” and run the setup.sh to install the check_mk component? (like the old day)

Beside, I install Nagios, Nagvis, and check_mk all together at the same host. No additional monitoring server.

No. But you can switch off the monitoring core in the site with omd config.

@paul007
You didn’t say nagioscore is version 3 or 4.
AFAIK, cmk’s nagioscore daemon is on nagioscore 3.x source code base. For modern nagioscore 4.x installation. cmk 2.x will have problem to interact with nagioscore 4.x via livestatus.o module.

Right, I have encountered a lot of issue. :rofl: How do you overcome it?

Overcome ? No. I surrendered :wink: Since cmk is a opencore software project. Dumping nagioscore 3/4 and cmk cre versions are inevitable in the long run. So pay up for CEE+ and start the migration process.