Issues registering new hosts to remote site in Distrib. mon

CMK version:
2.2.p21
OS version:
RHEL8
Error message:

Output of “cmk --debug -vvn hostname”: (If it is a problem with checks or plugins)

I just configured Distributed Monitoring, with a our Central site, and added a remote site. the connections, etc between the two are working.
As i’m starting to add windows server hosts, for the remote site, i’m having some issues.

First question:

1. Is it needed/required to generate and create another new agent in the bakery, that is specific to the remote site only? Or can I use the current working agents in the bakery i’ve already configured on the master site.
    I would have thought that the only change would be to point the registration commands, and the updater register commands to point to the remote site, however that has been failing.
  2. should the commands to register the windows host be configured to register to the central, or to the remote checkmk servers ?
  3. Same question for the the “update register” command, is that to the central or to the remote checkmk server?

Hi.

The registration depends on your settings for the bakery. You need to decide, which site is uses for registration. You need to chack also, if the port 80/443 is open to reach monitoring server from the clienet.

Rg, Christian

Hi Christian, thanks.
I’m not sure really answers my questions. I’m still trying to grasp an understanding of the proper setup for Dist. Mon. here.
In a distribut. mon. situation - Do you bake all agents with info from only the central site, and register everything to the central site, or - do you bake a different agent specific to each remote site, and then register new hosts to that relative remote site?

If every agent on any given hosts are all registering to the central site, i seem to be missing the point of even having remote sites in a distributed setup.
my remote site had its own agents, hosts etc… which of course was all wiped out clean as soon as i turned it into a remote site in the Distrib. Mon. setup.

• no, you dont normally have to bake a new agent.
  • if you have moved your windows host in WATO to be monitored using your new slave site, you would need to do the TLS registration again, but point them to the slave site
  • for registering for automatic updates you dont have to do anything, they should already be registered.

however if you have made any changes in terms of if your new slave site should be used for agent bakery, downloading new updates etc. you might need to bake a new agent, and perhaps re-register your windows hosts

• You can configure the updater plugin with minimal settings and provide the site-specific parameters on the command line during registration, or you create one updater rule per site. Your choice.
  • In general, you want to register hosts to the site they are monitored on. Both for the agent updater and the agent registration (aka. TLS registration).