Issues With YAML - Can Someone Please Help

Good Day Andreas,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Unfortunately your yaml file did not work. In fact, the yaml file you suggested actually made it worse as MOST of my normal services on my test server had been removed. The powershell script works as I tested it and yet it doesn’t even appear in my services under your YAML file. The same powershell script was working in the previous versions of Check_MK as I was using scripts such as these to monitor my windows environment. As a solution - I simply reused the example check_mk.example.user.yml to retrieve my services.

Here is a important point to always remember when designing a product and the Check_MK team needs to understand. A product has an end user audience. In my experience, you always are going to have more non-technical people than technical people. The Check_MK introduced a change which has lead to, presumably, unintended difficulties as I have seen posts of users having issues similar to mine. Again - i didn’t have this issue under the previous versions as ALL of my scripts were executing with no issues. While one can state that YAML has a more solid structure, config ini files easily worked. In other words, config ini files keep things simple for the end user.

The solution, for me, now it seems is I am going to have to learn a new language, YAML. This is to get back to a point where I was before the Check_MK team introduced, in my opinion, an unnecessary level of complexity. Most people aren’t technical like you and I are. Most people are non-technical and their response will be not to learn a new language, but to find a different and easier product to implement. I hope this doesn’t happen to Check_MK as its a good product in my opinion. The Check_MK team needs to look through the eyes of most end users and see how the end user will respond. Simplicity is the key for the end user and it usually leads to a long shelf life of a product.

Thanks
Steve